Database Engineer, Amazon Games
7 days ago
Amazon Games is seeking a highly talented and motivated Database Engineer to join our Live Operations team supporting new titles in development. Amazon is all-in on games, and our mission is to be the most customer-obsessed company in the industry. At Amazon Games, we’re creating compelling games like New World, a sandbox MMO set on a supernatural continent, as well as several - yet - undisclosed titles. Amazon Games is also publishing exciting titles like Lost Ark for western markets, delivering great game benefits to Prime members each month via Prime Gaming, and providing game developers of all sizes with the tools they need to succeed with Amazon Game Tech. We are looking for an experienced Database Engineer to join our team and help take our business to the next level!
In this role you will be responsible for performing Database Administrator duties for EMR, migrating existing databases to AWS, as well as capacity planning and maintaining/tuning production databases for multiple new titles within Amazon Games. You will also be responsible for recommending appropriate data and streaming services and assisting with the design of data pipelines for new and existing titles. The ideal candidate must be a team player who is able to work directly with end-users and teammates to bring titles to production. They must add value to the team by bringing ideas and solutions to the table.
If you’d like to come join us, here’s some things that are key to success in this role:
• Have a penchant for digging deep and attacking difficult and complex problems.
• Be a self-starter who is able to work alone or as a member of a team.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and interface with all levels within the organization.
• Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability.
• Broad knowledge of SQL and No-SQL database, streaming, and integration technologies.
Responsibilities in this role:
• Build and maintain complex mission-critical production database systems and pipelines.
• Analyze issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
• Working with AWS Services: EMR, Glue, Aurora, DynamoDB, DocumentDB, MSK, Kinesis, Neptune, S3, etc.
• Leverage good coding/scripting skills to automate tasks and improve workload analysis mechanisms.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
At Amazon, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
• Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
• 6+ years as a DBA, Database Engineer, or similar role is required
• 4+ years of experience engineering, administering and managing multiple NoSQL and/or relational databases
• Previous experience running a Game’s database
• Coding skills in the procedural language for at least one database engine a must (Spark, PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.)
• A passion for Gaming! – Great understanding of how the Games industry operates and the unique characteristics, delightful weirdness, and culture of the industry.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
• Experience supporting large-scale high-availability systems in a production environment.
• Professional Game industry experience dealing with Game and/or Game backend services.
• Passion for cloud database and streaming technologies – understanding of public and hybrid cloud platforms.
• Deep knowledge of AWS database and streaming services and their relevance to the Games industry.
• Relevant technical knowledge is helpful, such as: Game development platforms (Unity, Unreal, etc), core distributed computing concepts, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, platform variation (mobile, PC, Console), software defined networking, network functions virtualization, etc. with the ability to go deep enough on relevant technologies key to the industry.
• Familiarity with at least one scripting language (Powershell, Bash, Python, Perl)
• Consulting experience is a plus
• Storage engineering experience, including NAS, SAN, SSD, multi-pathing and caching.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.