Data Science Intern - Riot Data Products (M.S./Ph.D)
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 days ago
Riot's Data developers build tools to understand and delight our worldwide players using petabytes of data and state-of-the-art data processing technology. Handling the potential these data offer is a tremendous and complex task. As we continue delivering and scaling content to passionate gamers, our discipline has challenges and opportunities centered on crafting, building, and maintaining data products that support our growth. Whether you are a Data Scientist modeling game systems, a Data Engineer bringing scale and efficiency to systems, or a Data Architect organizing data in ways that make data products more player-focused and dependable, we need you to help push forward our “Player Experience First” goals.
Riot Data Scientists combine their wide technical expertise across data processing, automation, machine learning ("ML"), artificial intelligence ("AI"), and experimental design to inform decisions and develop data-powered produc ts.
As a Data Science Intern on Riot Data Products (RDP), you will help the team build machine learning solutions that equip Rioters with technology solutions that help them enhance the experience of players and Rioters. You will work with teams within RDP and across the organization to understand common use cases (recommendations, anomaly/fraud detection, demand forecasting, etc.) in the ML space and help contribute to the maturity of a common set of solutions used by teams across the organization.
- Work closely with game feature teams to optimize the way that we design and serve to players
- Partner with game designers and engineers to understand how they design and implement in-game features
- Implement ML solutions that are agnostic to domain/game and enable a diverse set of engineering teams to implement well understood and common frameworks/patterns
- Enrolled in an M.S. or Ph.D. program in statistics, engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence, or a related quantitative field (math, physics, etc.)
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 week at our Santa Monica Headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience in machine learning techniques
- Experience in statistical modeling and optimization
- Experience processing data and build machine learning models using Python
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Experience collaborating with a product team to provide data solutions
- Experience productionalizing code into live systems
- Understanding of distributed systems and concurrent programming
- Familiarity with cloud computing basics on AWS (EC2, S3)
- Experience working with Linux operating systems
- Experience in reinforcement learning and deep learning, including frameworks such as Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Experience in Java, C++, or Scala
- Basic understanding of data warehousing, relational databases (e.g., MySQL), and distributed data processing or storage systems (e.g., Spark, Flink, Hadoop)
- Experience with version control systems. (We use Git)
- Experience in social network analysis, natural language processing, computer vision, or signal processing
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. You can expect subsidized meals and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 15th 11:59pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).