2 days ago
Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang Studios is looking to add a versatile writer to join their Creative Communications team! This person will be an integral part of our small but steadily growing team of writers, who are selflessly and heroically taking on the mammoth task of shaping the voice of Minecraft. If you couldn’t tell, they occasionally also write job descriptions.
As a Creative Writer, you will help inform our community about future updates, events, and products through all the channels at our disposal. This includes writing stories for Minecraft.net, marketing copy for products and initiatives, and scripts for videos or stage shows. Your writings will range from the promotional and informative to the deeply silly.
We are a small, close-knit team, so you should be willing to jump in and support team members in areas adjacent to your own. We usually also help to proof and feedback on each other’s writings, all in the interest of putting out top quality content to our community and beyond. There will be opportunities to take ownership of projects and entire areas, but we pride ourselves on being an inclusive, low-ego team where all voices are heard.
What You’ll Do
- Ideating, writing, and editing copy for the various Minecraft channels.
- Providing support as needed by writing about Minecraft-related goings-on for Minecraft.net, and engaging with our community for in-depth features.
- Helping develop and write scripts, mostly for marketing and event productions.
- Occasionally engaging in brainstorms around upcoming campaigns, projects and updates, with the aim to effectively and authentically communicate the news across a range of mediums and assets.
- You have an excellent grasp of written English, and the ability to write for diverse audiences. This includes proven creative writing skills demonstrating a great ear for dialogue, humor, and pace.
- You have experience writing against deadlines as well as managing your time across various projects, big and small.
- You have opinions on Mojang Studios as a company, our relationship with the community, and the products we offer. A general interest in video games also doesn’t hurt!
- A plus if you have excellent research skills and a proactive attitude to finding exciting, fresh content for the Minecraft community.
The successful applicant will work closely with our Stockholm and Redmond teams, and will report to our Head of Creative Communications. They will be an excellent writer with good organizational skills, as well as a pragmatic and open approach to collaboration. They have a positive attitude, an open mind, and are willing to learn and grow as a writer. And of course, they are a terrifically pleasant individual to be around!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!