1 month ago
Blind Squirrel games is looking for a Creative Director to guide and manage a talented group of developers in creating a sci-fi action game based off a prized IP.
Supported by the studio’s Creative Director, the Creative Director is responsible for relaying and carrying-through a game’s vision from concept to completion.
The ideal candidate for this role has experience cultivating strong working relationships with their team, direct reports, and external clients alike. To be successful in this role, you must be a creative thinker who cares deeply about quality of execution and attention to detail across all disciplines.
This is a full-time position available to work remotely or based out of our Irvine, CA or Austin, TX studios.
The annual salary being considered for this position is $116,400 - $174,600.
CREATIVE DIRECTORS AT BSG...
You've left no stone unturned when it comes to design and know that the secret to creating great games is by nurturing the talent behind them. As an industry veteran, you are credited in multiple AAA titles in senior roles or above and have a proven track record of building successful foundations and strategies. You are one of the department's top decision-makers when it comes to the creation and amendment of a project's design pipeline and the studio looks to your direction to mitigate risks.
Your level of accountability goes beyond feedback and design as you are also responsible for orienting your department's resources, staff, and tools to perform optimally. You are accustomed to maintaining schedules and budgets; keeping yourself abreast of project status, industry trends, and emerging technology; and managing overall team health.
- Work closely with the Lead Designer & Studio Creative Director to set, maintain and own project vision
- Create clear and concise concepts that are distributed across all disciplines
- Review and provide guidance on all aspects of design and development
- Assess, prioritize, review, and set team goals and tasks with production team
- Owner of the quality and execution of all game content
- Manage and inspire client confidence and expectations
- Build and manage creative vision boards and design pillars
- Motivate, supervise, and provide mentorship across all design disciplines
- Maintain and nurture a positive, open, and playful team culture built for creativity
- Provide continual hands-on appraisal of the build and provide actionable feedback
- Pitch vision to team members, management, and external partners
- Spearhead 15-five reviews for the design department
- Organize social events and team bonding excursions for the design department
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- 10+ years in game development
- 5+ years in design department leadership
- Shipped 1 or more AAA title(s) in a lead design or director role
- Ability to map out overall game pacing
- Proficient in all aspects of game design such as player packaging, balancing, progression systems, etc.
- Exceptional planning, prioritization, risk assessment and communicational skills
- Extremely creative with a passion for video games
- Deep knowledge and experience with 3rd person action/combat games
- Strong technical understanding
- Not afraid to pitch in with content creation
- Experience working directly with external clients/publishers
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Experience maintaining a live service product
- Worked on a known franchise or IP
- Unreal 5 experience