Discord is on a mission to build the best place to hang out. The opportunity ahead of us requires skills in understanding people, a fresh perspective on what makes a great social experience, and cranking up moments of delight. That's where you come in.
Discord is looking for a Creative Director to lead our product and creative system function for all in-product experiences, working with the in-house brand team and the Product Design team to ensure the way Discord shows up in the world matches the experience inside the product.
Leading the team that produces the functional and creative elements makes Discord the best place to hang out. We're looking for someone who loves to inspire others and find inspiration in the wonderfully diverse communities we welcome on Discord.
Working with the Brand team, this candidate will define the common principles and develop a clear, inspiring, and actionable vision about how the product's creative content should appear in the product. You'll be expected to build trusted cross-functional relationships with the marketing, development, and design leaders across Discord, leading the work through ideation to execution while keeping the team engaged and inspired.
At Discord, no interest is too niche, and no community is too full. We welcome those who reach toward the edges to find inspiration, shared experiences, and new friends. We are a fun, sometimes silly, and always collaborative team. We focus on creating the highest quality experiences that create belonging above all else.
What you'll be doing
- Lead and develop the teams responsible for producing our in-product creative content. This includes art direction, illustration, motion, and audio content as well as defining overall tone and voice.
- The role will lead the work across the whole spectrum of in-product systems:
- Product Design Systems like icons, product components, motion, and UI libraries.
- In-product Creative assets like emojis, stickers, and profile decorations that people use to communicate and express themselves. Illustration and animation in the product that delight and inform how Discord works.
- Finally, the content strategy, tone of voice, and words used to guide people through their Discord journey.
- Bring new, creative ideas and approaches to our product and processes that blend traditional brand creative into our product features.
- Exceptional quality at the speed of development. You will lead and continually produce content that matches the pace and quality of feature development. Working closely with the product and marketing teams to iterate the design and creative elements as we learn how it works.
- Create a deep culture of collaboration, feedback, and openness as your team partners with Product Marketers, Product, Design, Brand, and more to bring great work to life.
- Familiar with Product designers and the tools they use.
- Familiar with 3D and 2D illustrators and the tools they use
- Familiar with Animators/Motion Designers and the tools they use
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $199,800/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $188,700/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!