10 days ago
Hunt A Killer, a $50M revenue, emerging growth, entertainment business ranked 6th on the INC 5000 list of fastest growing companies for 2020, is seeking a Controller to help take the business to the next level. Join a growing team of passionate and talented founders and teammates who are taking the entertainment industry by storm. Our products have earned accolades in Forbes, BuzzFeed, Fast Company, Bustle and numerous other national media and entertainment industry publications.
We’re about innovation and entertainment. Founded in 2016, Hunt A Killer started as a single event, blending the concepts of escape room, interactive theater and live entertainment by immersing participants in a 200-acre living crime scene. From that beginning, Hunt A Killer has evolved its products and distribution model to today shipping 150k episodic and complete mystery game boxes direct to consumer each month and selling purpose built games through Target and Amazon. Hunt A Killer is now working on additional ways to distribute its mystery game content including licensing and digital.
Our goal is to build a great team – with a great team, we can accomplish anything!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The mission of the Accounting and Finance leadership team is to build a high-performance team and related systems and processes to support Hunt A Killer’s continuing hyper growth with timely, accurate and insightful financial information for management, the Board, investors, lenders, tax authorities and other key stakeholders. We work with teams across the company, from operations to marketing, to create efficient processes, support decision-making and manage spend. We are entrepreneurial in spirit, strategic in how we execute our responsibilities and always operate with highest integrity.
The Controller is a key member of the Hunt A Killer management team and leader of the Accounting team. You will work in partnership with the CFO to deliver on the mission of the A&F team which will involve substantial interaction with the rest of the Hunt A Killer management team to understand all aspects of business activity to ensure our accounting and financial reporting is an accurate reflection of those activities. Initially, you will have significant hands-on work as the small accounting organization is built out to support the company’s fast growth and increasing operational complexity. You will provide the leadership to grow and develop the Accounting team consistent with the broader objectives and values of Hunt A Killer.
YOU'RE THRILLED ABOUT THIS ROLE BECAUSE YOU WILL
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing/Revenue Recognition, A/R, A/P, GL, Inventory Accounting, Tax Compliance and Financial Reporting and Financial Audit coordination
- Support the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts together with analysis and reporting of actual performance variances
- Ensure consistent application of Company accounting policies consistent with US GAAP in all material respects
- Implement, maintain and document the system of internal controls over the processing and reporting of financial transactions and financial results consistent with Hunt A Killer policies, best practices and regulatory and tax requirements
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Work continuously with the finance and accounting teams as well as other functional areas of the business to identify opportunities for process improvements through automation or other means to improve efficiency, the accuracy or timeless of information and internal controls
- Ensure the software and systems used to support financial and accounting processes are appropriate for the business and recommend changes as needed
- Continually monitor transactions and financial results to help identify cost saving spending efficiency opportunities across the business
- Develop strong teamwork relationships with all functional areas of the business to understand their operations and information needs and to collaborate on operational issues and creative solutions, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting or other means
- Build a world class accounting team by attracting, developing and inspiring talented employees to stretch, grow and be their best
- Other duties as assigned
WE'RE THRILLED TO WELCOME YOU TO THE TEAM BECAUSE YOU HAVE
- 8+ years progressive experience to Controller role
- 4+ years of strong technical accounting and financial reporting experience with Management Consulting, Big 4 or boutique public accounting experience preferred
- Experience leading and developing accounting organizations in high growth companies
- Demonstrated ability to effectively integrate a philosophy of strong controls and accountability into an entrepreneurial culture
- Experience with direct-to-consumer, retail, and international business models in a fast-paced and high-growth context
- A proven track record of building strong teams and leading/influencing others within their own functional area and across the enterprise
- Experience in both manufacturing/inventory and SaaS platform-based businesses
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Inherent curiosity and continuous improvement mindset
- Demonstrated ability to flex between significant hands-on work and leading teams as circumstances dictate
- Experience with accounting issues and processes associated with product intellectual property, a plus
YOU'LL LOVE HUNT A KILLER BECAUSE WE
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Are a diverse team and a values-driven company offering an entrepreneurial, creative and operationally-focused work environment
- Believe our team builds this company - without YOU there is no US!
- Are passionate about innovations in entertainment and are obsessed with member satisfaction
- Are a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity
- Are committed to a high level of employee engagement and satisfaction by offering competitive and evolving benefits including:
Financial: Market competitive total compensation package, Pre-tax and Roth 401k options with a Company match
Health Benefits: Comprehensive insurance package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Long-Term Disability (LTD) and Life Insurance (Company pays 100% for teammates/75% for dependents)
Perks: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Quarterly Community Give Back and Team Building Events, and Free Subscription for One (1) year
Work/Life: WFH stipend, Flexible Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, Mental Health Days and Paid Parental Leave
Hunt A Killer is an EOE M/F/D/V.