12 days ago
Full-time or Contract
We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make innovative games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. We are the creators behind the award-winning, hit games Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and Knockout City. We believe in maintaining a creative, collaborative, and diverse team environment at our studio and we are looking for passionate and capable people to join our team of experienced, multi-platform developers.
About the Role:
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Senior Concept Artist to join our Knockout City team. The Senior Concept Artist will be a critical member of our art team, helping to mature, solve, and support the visual and aesthetic direction of Knockout City by creating concept art to support characters, customization cosmetics, vehicles, dynamic illustrations, and brand defining key art. The Senior Concept Artist will work in both our existing IP and new, original IP, when the time comes.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the Lead Concept Artist and other key project leaders to help define and support narratively themed content for each new season.
- Provide thumbnails, sketches, polished illustrations, and final concepts (and be able to participate in discussions about the art).
- Support both Original IP and Licensed IP development at the studio, as opportunities become available.
- Deliver needed content according to the schedule, set by the project leads.
- Gather and organize reference and assist with maintaining organization of content and some documentation within the concept team.
- Work with other concept artists (in-house and remote) to review and provide constructive feedback to improve each other’s work.
- Create high quality art work to support studio needs such as marketing, pitch decks, and PR events.
- 3+ years of industry experience as a Concept Artist, or other relevant experience.
- Strong understanding of anatomy, storytelling, lighting, composition, perspective, and color theory.
- A passion for stylized games.
- Strong foundational art skills.
- A wide variety of style, thematic, and genre interests in art, games, other entertainment and personal art exploration.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Self-direction, passion, and creativity in your work.
- A receptiveness to feedback and the ability to act successfully on direct critique.
- Experience using 3D applications such as ZBrush, 3DSMax, Maya, Modo, Substance and/or other game production tools.
- Experience with UI and graphic design.
- Ability to storyboard.
- Experience with game asset creation.
- Leadership and/or mentoring experience.
- An eye for fashion design.
- A love for multi-player and competitive games.
- A drive for personal projects and discovery.
We value a diverse development team at Velan Studios. We will consider both veteran and early-career stage artists for this role.
Portfolio required. Please include a variety of examples of your work that demonstrate a breadth of style and content.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.