9 days ago
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft's 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations worldwide, are bound by a shared mission to enrich players' lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are vital to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto is one of the largest development studios within Ubisoft, employing talented developers from around the world. We create worlds and tell stories that grip you, inspire you and challenge you. Since opening in 2010, we have shipped innovative game projects on some of Ubisoft's biggest brands: Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, For Honor and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
Most recently, we launched Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the talented Giancarlo Esposito as Anton Castillo. Our studio has also led the development of the newest game in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion (2020), a stand out for its tech and design work, play as anyone gameplay in an open world, and rich and detailed rendition of a future London. Starlink: Battle for Atlas (2018) was Ubisoft Toronto's first new IP, using technology that seamlessly blended physical and digital gameplay. We have an exciting roadmap of projects for the future and can't wait to share more details.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft Toronto, we are always striving to get better, be better and do better – embracing innovative ideas, exploring new technologies, and working together courageously and collaboratively
On being a Concept Artist at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Concept Artist at UbiTO, you will lay the groundwork for the artistic team to create memorable characters and environments players will engage with and enjoy. You will provide the artwork that will serve as references and guide the visual styling throughout the production as all artists work towards a common goal.
You are a visionary, a thinker, a developer and an interpreter of ideas, able to be inspired while also inspiring others. You understand a vision and let your creativity guide you as you freely explore styles and designs in your medium of choice. You're eager to receive your colleagues' feedback and enjoy the challenge that comes with the continuous, iterative process of working and reworking your art until you communicate the correct visual design language.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you'll do
- Partner with the art director to develop the overall vision of a game (set the tone and ambiance; pitch locations, key moments, emotional contrasts, etc.);
- Produce sketches and quick iterations (digital or paper);
- Create concepts of characters or environments from existing references or scratch;
- Propose ideas to the artistic team and discuss possibilities;
- Adapt your artwork based on feedback;
- Find a balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints;
- Refine your concept art to illustration by adding layers of detail.
What it takes to make it
- A more realistic mate/ industrial approach to your art (less cartoon or "Disney"- like)
- Previous experience in Concept Art for another AAA title or at least 3-5 years of other relevant experience;
- A college diploma in Fine Arts or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset);
- Knowledge of digital painting and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max);
- Understanding of art fundamentals: lighting, composition, architecture, and anatomy;
- Open-mindedness and flexibility;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (you can share your ideas and explain your creative process);
- A collaborative spirit;
- A whole lot of creativity and curiosity.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of finished and preliminary work – seriously, show us your sketches! Attach images or send us a link to your website or online portfolio.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences. That's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you're a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You'll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what's possible within game development while working with Ubisoft's most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get-togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our "right to disconnect" philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio's biggest strength. We're committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.