9 days ago
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in Leamington Spa, UK. Since our founding as a small indie studio, our headcount has grown into a team full of talented, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from SEGA, Codemasters and EA.
As well as working on our own IP, we also offer co-development services to a growing list of clients, including Paradox, SEGA and Curve Digital. We work on some of the best titles around, such as Call of Duty, Crusader Kings, Yakuza, Star Wars Racer and much more, without losing touch with the anti-crunch and people-first values our studio was founded upon.
As winners of the GI Biz Best Places to Work award for the past 2 years running, our studio benefits from a friendly, supportive and empowering team culture. We encourage professional growth, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, and we embrace all the elements that make our team unique. We’re an inclusive studio and welcome applications from qualified applicants of any background, regardless of race, age, disability, gender identity or neurodiversity.
The opportunity @ Lab42
Lab42 is looking for a talented Junior or experienced Concept Artist to join our team!
As a Concept Artist at our growing studio, you will be responsible for the hands-on creation of concept work to help drive the artistic and stylistic direction of the studio's projects. You will also maintain and champion the artistic vision of the Art Director across the wider project Art Team and will work with varied styles and genres. It is essential to the position that the candidate is capable of stylistic diversity with the ability to rapidly generate ideas. This is a great time to join a friendly and growing Art team at Lab42!
We're open to this person being based in-studio position or operating in a remote hybrid model.
Within this role you will:
- Create high-quality Concept art.
- Be able/comfortable working in varied art styles (stylised to realism) and genres.
- Create visuals consistent with the Art Direction for the project.
- Work with 3D artists to generate concept work for their disciplines.
- Keep up to date with current trends.
- Work with Seniors, Leads and Production to help break down and estimate tasks and to track your progress against estimates.
- Proactively seek feedback from Seniors and Leads.
- Document processes and knowledge share.
To be successful you will have:
- The ability to work in multiple artistic styles.
- Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief.
- High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement, and eye for detail.
- Good composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
- Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines including figurative, environment and object work.
- Good communication skills.
- The ability to work directly with other disciplines.
- Self-initiating, confident approach to their work.
- Keen understanding of cultural influences beyond games, movies, books, TV, comics etc.
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop.
- Experience with 3D workflow.
On application, please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
. Relocation Support to the UK
. Visa Sponsorship
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was founded upon a people-first, anti-crunch culture, and we’ve stayed true to those values through all of our growth and success. Now part of the Sumo Digital family of studios, we enjoy all of the benefits and comradery of being part of a large games development organisation, without losing the friendly and flexible working environment that makes Lab42 a great place to work.
As part of Lab42, you’ll be able to work on both original IPs and some of the biggest and best games around – without having to sleep at your desk! Instead, we encourage a harmonious work-life balance that allows you to spend time with family and friends, while still enjoying a career in an exciting industry.
We believe in providing opportunities for internal career progression, and there is plenty of room to grow and fulfill your potential at Lab42. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff, we have been joined by many industry veterans, and are proud to be a studio where people chose to stay, develop and grow through their Game Development careers.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.