1 month ago
Phoenix Labs is looking for an exceptional Concept Artist to join a new game team forming in Vancouver!
This broadly skilled artist will work with the Art Director, Product Director, and the rest of the dev team to help develop the look and feel of an all-new original-IP project. They’ll be called upon to help the team explore a variety of possible art solutions for the different aspects of the game, from characters and creatures to the world itself.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our Burnaby studio. Currently, our team is working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, once we’re able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in Burnaby.
- Work with the Art Director to develop the art style of an original game IP, through visual exploration and look development.
- Collaborate with modelers, animators and technical artists to design a roster of highly emotive creatures that are appealing, unique and contemporary.
- Create high level, blue-sky concept art of gameplay scenes and settings. Participate in brainstorming sessions and create mood boards to communicate ideas and goals.
- Support internal and external production artists by providing feedback and paintovers to help achieve the game’s artistic vision.
- Work collaboratively with designers and 3D artists to balance creative vision with production needs and technical considerations.
- 5+ years experience in concept art.
- Experience in, and a portfolio highlighting, appealing and whimsical character and creature design.
- Ability to create concept art that’s thematically aligned with gameplay experiences and goals.
- Strong collaborator and communicator.
- Illustration skills.
- Experience working in non-photorealistic, “mass-appeal” art styles.
- Games industry experience.
About Phoenix Labs:
We make games because we love them, and because we love the way they bring people together.
When we established Phoenix Labs in 2014, it was with the hope of creating a place where diverse teams of people could come together to build deep multiplayer games. We've assembled an experienced, passionate team of developers across our studios in Vancouver, BC, Montréal, QC, San Mateo, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Our first game, Dauntless, launched in 2019, and was the first game ever to release with true crossplay and cross-progression. Since then, we've watched our community grow to 25 million players across four platforms. We're also backed by Garena, our long-time partner and one of the largest forces for gaming in Southeast Asia and emerging markets.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume/CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org