El Segundo CA 90245 United States
15 days ago
Concept Artist (video game)
WHO WE ARE
Carbonated is a games studio based in El Segundo, CA and only a 15 minute walk to the beach. The company was founded in 2015 by industry veterans who’ve built and run some of the biggest games in the world at companies like EA, Sony, Zynga and Blizzard. Our aspiration is to build a company where people want to spend their entire careers.
Our culture is largely based around a shared love of playing and building games as well as continuously learning and experimenting together. Unsurprisingly, we're focused on folks who share our key values:
- Talent (you're a subject matter expert and amazing individual contributor!)
- Attitude (you want to win! sure, experience is important, but that’s only part of what makes a great contributor, great)
- Willingness to try new and sometimes scary things (so we can ship something we're all proud of!)
Right now we’re fortunate enough to be working on our dream game, a real-time social pvp battler (think if The Division had a baby with Eve Online) with a few fun twists!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Help create concept art for our game. What should our levels look like?
- Help us define the vision, colors, graphics, characters & environments.
- Also help create ads, graphics that show off our game, explain game play and concept in-game assets.
- Help create marketing materials (animated gifs, memes, 3D paint-overs, etc.)
- Collaborate with designers and community growth managers to attract and increase our player base
- Give and receive constructive and creative feedback across art disciplines
WHO YOU ARE
As a Concept Artist you are able to make great looking images that can be used as advertisements. Since we’re still growing, we need someone who can also help out with modeling, texturing or other art related tasks! You might wear many hats, but at the end of the day, you’re a doer, like us.
- You’ve spent hundreds of hours honing your artistic skills - degrees are nice but portfolios speak volumes
- You’re at your best when working with others. You’re not afraid to speak up, take critique, or push for and take ownership of something you passionately believe in
- You’re someone who wants to take creative risks and enjoys solving problems
- You’re a passionate gamer yourself and understand how the aesthetic and fiction of a game can be just as impactful as the core game loop
- You enjoy playing games when you can
- You have illustration & rendering skills to make great looking final images
- You can render out existing assets, assemble images & text together into great looking images used to generate excitement for our game ads that will be on Facebook & other platforms
- Create marketing art: posters, banners, icons, t-shirts or whatever else we need to sell our game
- Be able to render scenes for marketing, advertising & social media using our in-game assets
- You have really strong Photoshop skills to cleanup, photo-bash, composite layers/lighting & do paint overs
- Strong sense of lighting, composition, color & layout
- Pose characters, layout scenes, light & render strong single images that help sell our game
- Create high quality renders using Maya Arnold, Blender cycles, Marmoset or similar renderers
- Make animated gifs for ads using rendered out layers, logos & other graphic elements
- Experience with Maya and/or Blender, enough to open assets & render out for final images
- You have some experience in a game engine like Unreal or Lumberyard
- Desire to improve and grow yourself and continually hone your skills
- Ability to own a project from beginning to end
- Proficient in Agile/Scrum development
- You enjoy playing games when you can
- Strong organic and hard surface modeling/texturing skills
- You understand how to be efficient with clean polygon topology & texture sizes
- Experience texturing in Substance Painter/Designer or similar programs
- Experience creating PBR materials
- 3D modeling & texturing of in-game assets (low poly, high poly, normal map extraction)
- Ability to transform concept art or reference photos into a high quality 3D model
- You’ve shipped multiple games
- Experience rigging and animating
- Understand that there are real-time rendering constraints
- Familiarity with gameplay designs
- You like working on a small team that works fast and iterates often
- You’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and really dig in to make something awesome
- You think working in a cool building near the beach sounds like fun
- You like human-powered & electric bikes/Onewheels, dogs and/or kids
WORST & BEST PARTS OF THE JOB
- We work very hard
- We're making something new which has the chance to be massive (also, we offer competitive benefits like Nearly Unlimited PTO)
SOUND LIKE YOU?
- Really? Awesome! Send your resume and cover letter to our posting!
Carbonated is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know so we can make your visit with us as enjoyable as possible.