20 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a Concept Artist to join our team! We are working on a fun new game with a stylized art direction, populated with unique characters, creatures and environments. Collaborate with our tight-knit team of highly dedicated and talented artists, designers, and developers to create best in class games. The ideal candidate has an excellent design sense, sophisticated illustration skills, and a constant drive for pushing ideas past the boundaries of the expected and conventional.
- Work closely with the Art Director and dev team to define and communicate visual direction.
- Create a wide variety of concept art including characters, creatures, environments, structures, and props.
- Explore, revise, and iterate on visual designs quickly and efficiently.
- Provide in-depth research and reference materials to help drive visual development.
- Work on polished key art and marketing pieces.
- Consistently deliver work of the highest caliber that can inspire the team.
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Excellent design sense, illustration skills, and art fundamentals
- Ability to quickly generate wide ranges of visual ideas
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Strong practice of visual research
- 3D software experience
- You have a passion for games (with a leaning towards the strategy genre)
- You’re up-to-date with pop culture
- You have an understanding of the history of art, architecture, design, and fashion
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.