Concept Artist (External Development Dept / Apex Legends)
19 days ago
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a highly-skilled Concept Artist to join our external development team supporting Apex Legends. Our ideal candidate is passionate about game development, loves to create high-quality, inspirational concept art pieces to support efforts across multiple disciplines. Reporting to our Lead Concept Artist, you will create and iterate on a variety of subject matter designing concepts across characters, weapons and props for seasonal content.
What you will do...
- Create and iterate on, primarily, character and weapon concepts for legendary skins
- thumbnails, loose sketches, finished/polished pieces, orthographics
- Own the quality control of incoming graphical content and manage the feedback and approvals
- Finalizing, polishing, externally created concept content as needed to ensure visual quality bar is met or exceeded and 3D modelers are well informed
- Collaborate with the Concept Team and OS ADs in internal OS training, as well as defining and documenting OS best practices and style guides
- Coordinate with Ex Dev Management team on addressing vendor gaps, quality issues, scheduling or changes in scope
- Create and critique briefs and production packages for external production
- Actively seek opportunities to improve processes and facilitates solutions at all levels in the organization
Ideally, you will have...
- 3+ years experience as a Concept Artist
- Strong understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and color
- Exceptional ability to design and illustrate everything from characters to environments to mechanical designs... or anything that could be imagined in a Respawn game
- Basic understanding of 3D and experience creating designs to be translated into 3D
- An experienced eye for artistic quality and detail with the ability to breakdown and communicate complex feedback and art direction clearly using visual, verbal, and written medium
- The patience, temperament, and creative-thinking, and communicative adaptability required to help ensure constant alignment with external partners often separated by distance, language, and cultural aspects
- Experience working with external service providers
- The bestpeople skills. Empathy for fixing the problems of others, whether internal Respawn or external partners, and respect for others' time
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and we will get back to you once we have reviewed it.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.