This job might no longer be available.
Concept Artist, Environment
Irvine, CA, United States
2 months ago
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…artists? We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
In Overwatch 2, the nations of Earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.
There’s no job in art quite like a Concept Artist. Whole worlds are born with the stroke of a brush…a moody painting of a harsh alien landscape, the intricate detail of scrollwork on a piece of armor, or even a simple pencil sketch of a funny little critter. The tiniest idea can take root and grow into an entire universe for players to explore. As a concept artist working on Overwatch , set Blizzard’s ground-breaking new universe, fearless imagination and bold talent will translate dreams to reality and continue to build the world of Overwatch and help shape Overwatch 2.
Using the skills of both artist and designer to their fullest potential, a concept artist lives on the front line of development. You’ll work closely with level designers and environment artists to bring our world to life. Your knowledge of industrial and shape design and color theory will be pushed to new heights designing this undiscovered world and bringing it to reality.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose goal isn’t just painting a pretty picture but rather to make a truly immersive game experience.
Nobody values the contributions of an environment concept artist like we do. If you’re ready to embrace the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Develop production concepts of props and environments that fit within the world of Overwatch.
- Work with 3D artists and outsource supervisors to complete final modeling and render of concepts.
- Add final paint-over polish to 3D renders to enhance color, lighting, and details.
- Creates scene concepts that push storytelling in our environments.
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience creating concept artwork for animation, film or videogames
- Experienced with digital content creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter, etc
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to illustration and industrial design
- Clean, mechanical drawing skills
- Superior eye for light, value, composition, color, staging, and detail in environmental design
- Understanding of the distinctive Blizzard Entertainment visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay-oriented goals
- Organic 3D modeling ability
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to architecture, landscape painting, and illustration
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as an environment artist
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Job Status: Full-Time
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.