This job might no longer be available.
Concept Artist, Character - Unpublished R&D Product
Los Angeles, California, United States
7 months ago
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a creative problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts and.
As a Concept Artist on the Research and Development team you will report to the Team Captain. You’ll work on a brand new unpublished AAA game. You’ll partner with the Art Director and several animators and 3D character artists to executive the style of unique characters, and create new and satisfying experiences for our players.
- Sketch, ideate, and iterate new character/creature concepts in collaboration with other developers
- Develop detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Creatively figure out efficient solutions on executing the look and feel of the character/creature
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines to define characters/creatures that are both narrative and visually cohesive
- Take your knowledge of story tropes, archetypes, and narrative devices of all kind to help improve the designs that go into our worlds
- Bring your understanding of human and animal anatomy and know how to stretch the limits while still maintaining the art direction
- Minimum of 2 or more years of character concept art experience working on a team in a game development environment
- Photoshop or other relevant digital painting/design tools proficiency
- Art samples showcasing ability to create highly stylized characters through past professional or personal work samples
- 1+ Years working on a team in a prototype or early pre-prod stage of development
- Experience with Unity
- Some knowledge of 3D Art and rigging
- Willingness to flex to a variety of different art styles to help realize the early prototype vision of a product.
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality character concept art - including stylized artwork.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).