This job might no longer be available.
Concept Artist - Atomhawk Vancouver
2 years ago
ATOMHAWK ARE LOOKING FOR TALENTED CONCEPT ARTISTS TO JOIN OUR STUDIO IN VANCOUVER!
As a member of our concept art team you’ll be creating concepts across a wide range of styles and formats for our high profile clients in games, film, TV and digital media.
You’ll be involved in shaping projects at all stages of the production cycle - from foundational sketch and design work all the way through to final, polished concepts - but you must have the ability to adapt to a variety of different styles as and when needed. In return, you can expect to have fun designing and visualizing environments, characters, props and vehicles across multiple genres, including realistic, fantasy, sci-fi, and stylized.
As well as a strong artistic foundation and a proven ability to produce high quality art within reasonable time frames, we’re looking for someone with the enthusiasm and communication skills to make them a genuine asset to the concept team and the studio as a whole. We value confidence without arrogance, and welcome everyone to play an active role in building an awesome culture within the studio, where everyone grows together as a team.
This position offers a rare chance to create great art in a dynamic environment full of exciting new challenges, collaborating with some of the biggest names in the video game industry on projects that will shape the next generation of gaming entertainment. Come and join us!
Please download and read our portfolio guide , which provides detailed guidance on what we look for in artist portfolios. Download the guide from http://atomhawk.com/s/Atomhawk_Portfolio_Guide.pdf
Atomhawk is an industry leading art and design studio. Our key goal is to provide world class design and digital art production services to leading clients across games, film and digital media.
We have offices in the UK and Canada, working with clients from across the world in the games and entertainment sectors.
Hierarchy and reporting lines
Reporting to the Art Manager and supported by Principal Artists and Production.
- Creating concept art for characters, environments, objects to various levels of finish and time constraints
- Creating illustrations for key frames, box art and other marketing purposes
- Speed paintings of Composition, Mood
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination
- Character design – Creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles
- Environment design - Ability to create inspirational environments in an array of styles, always with close attention to composition, lighting and perspective
- Architecture – Strong understanding of the layout and special proportions a range of buildings, both realistic and imaginary. A good knowledge of architectural styles would be advantageous
- Mechanical design – Knowledge of industrial design principals and their application to fictional vehicles, machines, weapons etc
- Fluent with Photoshop, and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Anatomical knowledge
- Architectural knowledge
- Mechanical design knowledge
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
- Must be able to paint/sketch at speed
Skills Considered a Bonus
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, 3DSMax or Maya etc) a plus
- Good knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working within a videogame, agency or film-production environment
Education and Experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates a potential to meet industry standard level of art
- Professional art training is desirable but not essential
Atomhawk provides all the following benefits/perks to its employees to ensure they are happy, healthy, and set up for a long, successful career with us:
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus scheme
- Flexible work schedule with both in-studio and optional from home working
- 8 days of paid training & development time annually, plus free access to an extensive library of tutorials/courses
- Extended health & wellness benefits
- 5% RRSP employer matching
- 21 days of paid vacation annually (+1 for every year with us up to a max. of 25)
- $300 health & fitness annual reimbursement
- Monthly and quarterly team activities (cinema trips, lunches/dinners, go karting, arcades etc)
- Free snacks and drinks in the studio
Please note we are only able to accept applications from those with legal authorization to work in Canada, or those able to work remotely on a similar time zone to the Vancouver, Canada studio.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.