14 days ago
The Communications Lead oversees the PR and Community strategy, owning both external and internal studio messaging and channels. You will be responsible for building the public profile of the studio and developing a voice that is uniquely ours. Equally important, you will help us establish a direct line of contact with our audience and own the relationship with our customers through studio-operated channels. This role will also require you to liaise quite frequently with our external publishing partners and work with them on promoting our games.
- Define then roll out BBI’s communications strategy - working in close partnership with the Director Of Business Development & Communications, the Executive Team, and External Publishing Partners
- Develop awareness and visibility of BBI as a studio and what we stand for beyond our games - among players, industry professionals, and prospective recruits alike
- Identify opportunities to raise the studio’s and games’ profiles: B2B press interviews, involvement in local dev and tech communities, global industry events etc.
- Help surface BBI as an attractive place to work
- Reach out to relevant media and press contacts and be an excellent partner for them
- Grow studio-owned channels and associated contacts database: monthly newsletter, social media accounts etc.
- Manage and mentor Community Manager to create engaging content for all owned social media channels
- Establish influencer strategy and build lasting, respectful, and mutually beneficial relationship with influencers
- Provide guidance and coordination for marketing campaigns led by external publishing partners
- Liaise with agencies as needed
- Offer media training to dev teams’ spokespersons
- Helps us stay current with best practices, new channels, ideas, and technologies in communications
- 5+ years in related positions - preferably within video game, tech or entertainment industries
- Previous public-facing communications experience
- Impeccable written and verbal English communication skills
- Solid copywriting experience, including developing brand / editorial voice
- Robust organizational, prioritization, and self-management skills
- Active listener and positive team player
- Deep knowledge of the independent and PC video game market
- Established network of video game press contacts
- Familiarity with crisis and online toxicity management
- Experience building and/or leading a small team
- Good eye for branding and graphic design
- Event organizing experience
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.