9 days ago
Skillz is on a mission to bring out the best in everyone through competition. Building the future of entertainment, Skillz is accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes , shifting the paradigm to make competition accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
Skillz has been recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time ). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies . In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America .
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform dedicated to bringing out the best in everyone through competition. As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry, by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The Skillz platform empowers developers to create multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, with the goal of building the home of competition for all.Skillz has earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, and the number-one fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000. www.skillz.com
What We’re Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a seasoned communications leader who will be dedicated to driving strategy and results. This driven individual is a creative and innovative storyteller who will explore both new and established approaches to achieve our goals. Reporting to the VP of Brand, the role will oversee communications efforts - both internal and external. They will be a master in crafting narratives for financial communications, CEO emails, thought leadership, Town Halls, social media and everything in between. Above all, they will thrive in connecting with multiple audiences through clear and relevant messages that move people towards action. The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated success building, scaling, and managing teams. It's critical for the Director of Comms to establish credibility at the executive level and be well-versed in championing consensus and approval for cross-functional efforts. Above all, they will be the person everyone enjoys collaborating with, as they make magic happen with everything they touch, craft and lead.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and lead our overall communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with company leadership, brand mission and overall business strategy
- Oversee an internal communications function focused on driving employee engagement, retention, and advocacy
- Partner closely with senior members of the team to develop engaging narratives about Skillz and its products, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, and what makes it a best place to work
- Attract, retain, and cultivate a world-class Communications team
- Manage a PR agency, delivering exceptional results that effectively position Skillz as a leader.
- Leverage both earned and owned channels to ensure that Skillz is valued appropriately in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as an industry leader
- Optimize and advance the strategy and voice for CEO and executive communications, including speaking engagements, media interviews, and internal communications
- Senior communications executive with at least 8+ years of work experience leading and scaling communications teams in fast-paced, high-growth business or PR agency
- Internal communication experience is a must, coupled with external communication expertise is preferred
- 5+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain top talent
- 5+ Experience and strong understanding of social media platforms and how best to leverage them
- An intuitive and effective team leader, manager, and mentor, who is capable of growing senior communications leaders and junior team members alike
- Proven ability to run and deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning and ruthless prioritization
- Experience leading and managing PR agencies as well as experience in managing social media efforts
- Entrepreneurial and a hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Experience with crisis communications and change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
- A real passion for the role and making an impact through the power of communication
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .