Combat Lead, New World
25 days ago
We are looking for a Combat Lead to join the New World team. New World is an Open World MMO that pits players against the haunted wilderness of Aeternum, a mysterious island in the twilight of the Age of Exploration.
As the combat lead, you will refine the combat vision for New World and define the vision for our next game. You will lead a team of designers to develop best-in-class action based combat, that plays precisely and feels great. You will ensure navigation, camera, AI and combat all work together to create an amazing player experience. You will collaborate with a team of animators and programmers to bring your vision to life.
Key job responsibilities
About the teamWe embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- Define and drive the combat vision in New World
- Design and develop interesting and fun concepts for weapons, characters, and gameplay systems
- Write and review design documents that communicate your vision to the rest of the team
- Develop and grow a team of designers
- Work with the animation team to describe timings, distances, and other animation keys which result in responsive, fun gameplay
- Work with programmer to create custom functionality for your gameplay experiences
- Script gameplay logic and integrate animations into the game engine
- Refine, tune, and polish your work create highly polished, high quality gameplay experiences
- 8+ years of video game experience
- 5+ years as a combat designer
- 1+ years managing and leading a team of gameplay designers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $111,600/year in our lowest geographic market up to $207,700/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Have worked on a third person action melee combat game
- Shipped a AAA title as a combat designer
- Strong technical scripting skills and ability to learn new technologies
- Experience scripting in modern engines (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
- Strong animation understanding and fluency
- Deep understanding the competitive, multiplayer game landscape
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.