This job might no longer be available.
Combat Encounter Designer
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland
9 days ago
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is now looking for a Combat Encounter Designer for a key role working on Remedy’s projects.
If you like the idea of working on a AAA title, taking ownership of thrilling combat encounters, driving them through concept to final implementation in production levels and being responsible for their final quality in the hands of our passionate players, then this job is for you!
- Under direction from the Lead Gameplay Designer and Game Director; design, prototype and script memorable combat encounters using our proprietary Northlight game engine
- Take responsibility for combat encounters, driving them from conception through to full implementation and polish
- Work with Level Designers and Environment artists to make sure level geometry is aligned with the needs of combat encounters
- Collaborate with AI Designers and AI programmers to ensure you have the necessary tools to script and create compelling stealth and action-based encounters
- Work with AI Designers to implement AI behaviors using our proprietary Northlight game engine
- Work with Gameplay Designers and actively aim to improve the core combat systems (controls, camera, abilities etc.)
- Devote yourself to understanding all player verbs and enemy archetypes, in order to craft varying experiences that serve all available player playstyles
- Create both high level encounter overviews and technical requirements in order to communicate your ideas with other teams
- Plan your work to ensure your encounters are delivered on time and to an exceptional quality
Requirements and qualifications
- Demonstrable previous work as an AI Gameplay Designer or Combat Encounter Designer with a significant contribution to the combat encounter design and implementation on 1st person/3rd person games
- Experience taking at least one (preferably multiple) core features from concept to release
- Knowledge and experience working with 3D level editors (CryEngine, Unreal etc. or internally developed editors)
- Knowledge and experience working with scripting languages (Lua, C# etc.) to script prototype game features and level flow / logic
- Experience with AI behavior trees and other AI tools and technology
- Ability to take criticism from leads, publishers and other team members and channel it into improving the product
- Self-motivated and proactive with a dedication to improving your craft and making the best games possible
- Dedicated to contributing towards a friendly team environment
- An amazing ability to communicate both verbally and in written form (in English)
The ideal candidate would also have
- Passion for creating compelling narrative experiences
- Prototyping experience (e.g. Unreal/Unity)
- An avid player of games, both multiplayer and single player
What is in it for you?
- Yes, you get to move to Finland where the quality of life is exceptional and cost of living is affordable
- Moving to a new country can be intimidating, but our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else
- You will be offered competitive compensation with a bonus system
- We work hard, but at Remedy we believe in a great work life balance. Happy people work better. In Finland you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This is on top of public holidays and other special occasions
- Above all, you get to work on awesome, unique video games that the global audience is interested in at a studio where your input is valued. We try our hardest to keep our team sizes and the work load sensible, so your contributions feel valuable
To apply, please fill in the application form with your CV and other information relevant to the position.