10 days ago
We are looking for talented Combat Designers to join the team at Supermassive, to work on new, unannounced project.
If you’re a passionate game designer, an Unreal whiz, and someone obsessive about designing and building amazing combat systems, we might be able to tell you more!
This role involves the design and implementation of core combat systems and mechanics through paper-design, visual-logic, and in-house tools. Supporting the system and level design teams to design and create varied and compelling real-time combat encounters, whilst working closely with the programming, animation, and character teams to bring those creations to life.
You need to be conﬁdent working in the Unreal Engine and have experience using Blueprints.
The position is in-house at Supermassive Games in Guildford and is available as a permanent role.
- Design and implement combat systems and game logic through visual scripting systems and in-house tools
- Aid in the development of compelling combat systems that scale and evolve in complexity and challenge through player progression
- Create and develop combat systems from concept to final quality in collaboration with the design team, programmers, and artists
- Create and translate prototypes into game systems and iterate them to quality
- Use and modify existing blueprints to create new gameplay
- Define sets of combat rules, actions, and abilities to accommodate and showcase enemy behaviours and their responses to player decisions and actions
- Craft exciting and rewarding 3rd person combat encounters and experiences that compete with the best in the genre
- Previous experience in a commercially shipped title with responsibility for combat design
- Experience of designing combat rules, enemy behaviours (AI) and skill progression systems
- The ability to create interesting, exciting, challenging, and varied combat experiences and encounters
- Experience scripting and level designing to accommodate combat scenarios and mechanics
- A track record designing and tuning combat scenarios and associated systems
- Knowledge in designing and writing scripts to handle gameplay systems, basic AI behaviours, state machines and scripted sequences
- Demonstrated experience of a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines/team members to realise the best possible game play experience
- The talent to create game content that delivers a rewarding, visually exciting and exhilarating combat experience for the player
- Someone who actively seeks feedback to improve their work while also providing guidance and feedback to their peers
- The ability to iterate and rapidly prototype gameplay, and implement to quality
- Knowledge of 3rd person combat systems and techniques used in modern AAA titles
- 2+ years of progressively complex combat design related experience
- A portfolio of gameplay and combat design work that speaks to our key requirements
- Hands on design experience in a team, working on a published game
- Experience of motion capture for combat systems, the creation of combat state machines and the data that drives them
- A passion for making games driven by gameplay and stories
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
Why Join us?
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- 6 x life assurance
- Quarterly profit-related bonus scheme for all staff
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive game