19 days ago
Crystal Dynamics is constantly seeking the best gaming talent worldwide to add to our 30-plus year legacy of AAAA game development creating new and iconic franchises. We are committed to making great games with great people and having an awesome time living the dream while doing it.
Benefits for our full-time positions include, but are not limited to, a competitive regional salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, professional development reimbursement perk, flexible hybrid on-site/off-site work opportunities, 12 company paid holidays, additional 10 paid days in December when the studio is closed for holiday break, and the ability to accrue weeks of personal paid time-off.
Join us and shape the future of an amazing studio culture committed to creating award-winning franchises like Tomb Raider , Marvel's Avengers , the next Perfect Dark , and more!
Crystal Dynamics is looking for a Combat Designer to join our Combat and Enemy team where they will collaborate with the Design Director to design and develop all features and systems related to our combat experience. The ideal candidate is driven by the need for excellence and thrives in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, document, and drive the development of all game systems focusing on ranged and melee combat mechanics, boss and enemy design, experience tuning, and related features
- Absolute necessity to be “in the tools”; developing and implementing the combat experience for proof of concept and prototype settings
- Prototype, build, and ultimately own the moment-to-moment combat melee and shooting experience
- Design, implement and extensively test combat systems for weapons, gear, traversal and player abilities
- Engage and respond with playtest feedback and data to iterate and improve the experience
- Coordinate with production and other departments to achieve results
- Anticipate, prioritize, and organize work to meet objectives
- Tune combat systems, such aim assists and controller response curves
- Design and document weapon systems, damage systems and combat tuning
- 2-3 years of professional experience as a designer focusing on player, enemy and combat design
- Professional contribution to a 3rd person action-adventure title
- Strong understanding of player/combat design
- Ability and willingness to be “in the tools”
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment (both independently and cross-discipline, including in a remote environment)
- Strong passion and understanding of the combination of systems and tuning that make a game “feel” good
Bonus Skills & Experience
- Familiarity with design within Unreal Engine
The pay range for this role includes the annual base salary, not including bonus and the generous benefits package that Crystal Dynamics provides all full-time employees. Individual compensation is determined by work location within our approved states, as well as additional factors, including job related skills, experience, and relevant education. Your recruiter will be able to share more information about total compensation.
$75,000 — $100,000 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Not sure if you are qualified? We hope that you will still choose to apply so we may review your application!
Crystal Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and understand Crystal Dynamics’s Privacy Notice available at https://www.crystald.com/legal/privacy/.