Combat Designer (Unannounced Project)
18 days ago
Who We Are at ArenaNet
Online role-playing games are due for a major evolution. Here at ArenaNet, we are marching into the future toward the best and most exciting possibilities. Our mission is unchanged. Innovate. Work smarter. Defy industry standards. Enrich the lives of our players.
What You’ll Do as a Combat Designer
We have a bold vision for a next-generation MMORPG combat system. We love our studio’s tradition of blending of action and strategic RPG elements into “Skill-Deck” style combat systems. Now we’re making it even better. The Combat Designer designer’s role is to build on the innovations we’ve made so far—and then take it further. Mainly, you’ll expand our library of player weapons and combat abilities. We are looking for a candidate who would confidently:
- Collaborate very closely with the Lead Combat designer and contributors from other disciplines.
- Expand and utilize their knowledge of Action-RPG battle engines from all around the industry.
- Design weapons and skills that reward players for strategic play, cooperation, and investing time into their character.
- Work directly in the Unreal engine, getting their hands dirty in animation timelines, camera systems, visual effects, and more.
- Rapidly iterate through regular playtests while closely monitoring feedback from internal and external playtesters.
- Make multi-platform design considerations with respect to the advantages and challenges of each one.
Why You Should Apply
We appreciate that talented creatives are discerning about where they spend their efforts. Though there are many excellent teams and projects around the industry, there are many unique opportunities to pursue in this role, such as:
- Leave your mark on big ideas for an established online fantasy IP by joining a well-funded project in pre-production.
- Dream with other dreamers as we embrace organic collaboration over traditional production methodologies that (frankly) don't work.
- Break through obstacles of remote work by contributing to a team and a product dedicated to enhancing the humanity of virtual interaction.
- Enjoy optional team get-togethers and onsite weeks when safe and appropriate.
- Have regular, genuine conversations with your manager about the path and underlying meaning of your professional life.
This isn't merely a job description. It’s an invitation to start a conversation about possibilities. If you found any of it interesting, we urge you to apply.
We are open to remote work in AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IL, MA, MD, NC, NV, NY OR, TX, UT and WA or onsite/hybrid/flex at our office in Bellevue, WA.
The salary range for this position in is $75,000 - $100,000 per year, plus annual bonus potential. Please note that the salary shown is a general guideline only. We take into consideration the geography in which you live and your experience and qualifications when determining final salary. This role is also eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long term disability, 401(k), flexible and dependent care spending accounts, PTO, paid holidays and parental leave.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.