16 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced Cinematic Scripter to join our growing studio. We are looking for a key hire to lend a hand in the development and execution of real time cinematics in a 3rd person action-strategy hybrid game.
Do you enjoy bringing game experiences a cinematic flare? Do you love telling stories? Do you enjoy working with a cross-section of content creators in FX, animation, environments and more to realize cinematic moments? Do you want to work on a high fidelity project with a large scale narrative and cinematic experience? If so, this role could be for you!
- Generate in-game cinematic and scripted events using our proprietary scripting system
- Present scripted events in weekly reviews with the campaign and narrative team
- Coordinate with Designers, Artists, Animators and FX artists to seamlessly transition real-time cinematic content into and out of gameplay
- Collaborate with directors and leads to achieve story and gameplay goals
- Debug any potential problems
- Shipped at least one title or high quality mod experience with experience as a cinematic scripter, animator or narrative designer responsible for real-time cinematic implementation (A similar role heavily involved with real-time cinematics is also acceptable)
- Experience working with scripting languages (Lua, C# etc.) Understanding of film language and basic photo/cinematography principles
- An appetite for telling great stories visually, even if the story is a quick five second camera pan overview of an environment
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate with technical and non-technical teammates
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Passion for creating compelling narrative experiences
- Experience scripting cinematics in at least one known engine such as Unreal, Hammer, Unity Cinemachine, etc. (Professionally or personally.)
- Have a strong vision for direction - but can also take direction well from our senior staff or partners
- A reel of real-time cinematics that you are responsible for implementing
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.