Character Texturing Artist-Senior
24 days ago
A texture artist is responsible for creating texture maps for photo-based builds. This includes assets across the board from characters, human digital doubles, animals, hard-surface such as vehicles, and props.
The goal is to create texture maps for 3D models built to match photo references.
- Needs to source textures from photo references. Collect additional references in line with the photo shoot if there isn't enough coverage in the given references.
- Re-use existing textures from the asset Library and re-purpose them as needed.
- Lookdev assets based on given photo references.
- Ingest assets coming from other vendors into pipeline and lookdev assets to match client lookdev turntables.
- Is responsible for delivering the best VFX asset by following the clients creative vision.
- Should be able to present dailies in the best possible way to communicate work progress and fast track decision making.
- Meet production schedules and set deadlines while maintaining the highest standards.
- Good understanding of all stages of Asset Pipeline and fair knowledge of VFX and CG productions
- Gathering, grading and lineup of references
- Validating models and UVs, cameras before commencing texturing work
- Camera projection and cleanup to create COL maps and secondaries
- Create sculpts and 2D displacements wherever necessary
- Setup shaders and lookdev in maya arnold
- Re-purpose existing textures for variations
- Create maps to support material library/standard builds
- Create tillable textures as source material
- Help with Lookdev feedbacks, address notes and map adjustments
- Release textures, package and validate and publish builds
- Optimizing assets, maps and texture layers
- Exporting assets to other vendors and clients
The details above provide an outline of the skills and experience we are looking out for. Within our artist team structure, we have a position:
During our recruitment process we will be assessing where your skills and experience best fit.
The details above provide an outline of the key requirements for candidates to apply for a role in this department. At The Mill, we have a number of job classifications within our artist team structure.
Basis the candidate’s Demo reel quality, Test & interview performance, and other evaluation criteria the management will decide upon the designation
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
The Mill’s flagship studio, Mill London, opened its doors in 1990. Located in London’s Fitzrovia, the studio is home to over 300 creators working across Mill VFX, Mill Direction and Mill Experience projects. The Mill’s London home overlooks the iconic BT tower, and is surrounded by some of the best eateries in town. The London creative community often gathers on The Mill’s rooftop bar and terrace, which plays host to a number of industry and staff events.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.