This job might no longer be available.
Character - Technical Director
13 days ago
The character TD will oversee the quality and technical content of his trade. He/She must optimize team productivity through the technical process (pipeline) in order to maximize the player’s experience. This is achieved by adequately identifying the project’s needs, implementing efficient work tools and methods to maximize data integration in the engine and providing technical support to the character team.
- Determine the character team’s technical needs to carry out the visions for the game design and level design and/or the artistic direction by validating game features and challenging its interpretation to assess their technical feasibility;
- Help choose the project engine to ensure that his trade’s needs are considered by evaluating existing engines, contributing to the design of a new engine (if applicable) and testing the final engine choice;
- Acquire the best tools in collaboration with the programming team and other Technical directors (TD) of the project to enhance and facilitate his trade’s work by prototyping technological elements, asking for adjustments to existing tools, requesting new tools and validating their efficiency before they are deployed on the project;
- Establish the best work methods and data structures (data and assets) to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data (meet standards and minimize debugging) by writing technical (pipeline) documents, establishing a naming method, training, coaching and supervising users of the process;
- Find improvements and resolve issues in order to provide technical support to his trade by working in close collaboration with programmers and training team members to become specialists resolving tasks and precise problems;
- Stay informed of new technical and technological developments in order to apply them to his project when relevant and share his project’s developments with his peers (TDs on other projects or other trades);
- Help plan the work by collaborating with the planning lead on the scope of each task and the impact on his team in order to find the right compromise between the desired quality and the delivery constraints (time, costs, resources, etc.);
- Follow up on the tasks of the assistant TDs to assess the progress of the deliverables;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in 3D animation for video games or equivalent.
- 5 years’ experience in modeling and/or rigging video game characters or equivalent;
- Working experience in his trade in all video game production phases;
- 2 years’ experience as an assistant TD is an asset.
Skills and knowledge
- User oriented;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Self-Organization skills;
- Good Coaching skills;
- Capacity to Influence;
- Writing skills (technical documents);
- Be visionary;
- Modeling and texturing knowledge;
- Extensive anatomical knowledge;
- Extensive knowledge of the game engine limitations and production needs;
- Extensive knowledge of character modelling;
- Extensive knowledge of shaders, physics and other character related developments;
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Max Script and C Sharp;
- Extensive knowledge of controllers is an asset;
- Animation skills is an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of IK and pivot points is an asset;
- Extensive knowledge of Character Studio/biped is an asset
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped and a cover letter
Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.