Character Technical Artist
San Mateo CA
14 days ago
CHARACTER TECHNICAL ARTIST
Who We Are:
We are dedicated to crafting highly engaging entertainment with a commitment to putting fans first. We aim to be a team of diverse game makers driven by a passion for our art and inspired by a culture of inclusivity to build games that thrill players everywhere. We cherish our studio independence and autonomy, and value the collaborative support of 2K, one of the world’s leading interactive entertainment companies.
We are the newest studio in the Take-Two Interactive family, founded in 2019 and located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our first effort is to build a multiplayer and multiplatform AAA action game which will thrill a diverse community of gamers and have fun while doing it. We prize our creative autonomy as an independent studio, with both the financial and logistical support of 2K Games publishing.
Who You Are:
We are looking for a tech artist with proven ability to integrate themselves into a AAA team, find areas to improve, and be a self-starter to address the issues. You are the expert in this space, and don’t require hand-holding or micro-management to get the job done: We place a lot of importance on individuals being self-motivated and self-directed.
That being said, our team values strong leadership, management, and you will be fully supported at all times to remove blockages so you can get the job done. We also value growth within your area of expertise and will actively promote your ability to excel within this space.
If you are a senior technical artist with experience on the environment art side, especially those in the mobile and/or AAA game space, we think you will be a great fit and we’d love to hear from you!
- 3+ years in the games industry
- Expert Maya technical knowledge
- Strong Python scripting and Maya Python API skills
- Familiar with existing technical standards within the character techart space
- Proactive troubleshooting and problem solving to help the team as needed
- Customer focused: customers are what drive technology, not technology for the sake of it
- Great collaborative teamwork skills
- Appreciates modularity, reuse, and elegant design
- Robust knowledge of rigging all asset types: Human, creature, props, vehicles, and weapons, including blendshape facial rigging
- Familiar with the evaluation graph in Maya and node performance
- Strong skinning skills with an understanding of what makes good deformation within the limitations of the engine
- Deep understanding of how skinned geometry, animation, materials, and textures are exported to the game
- Deep understanding of DCC -> Engine export pipelines
- Familiar with runtime cloth and rigid sim + Maya-side setup
- Familiar with blendshape deformations & rigging
- Value Adds:
- Previous animation / modeling / shading / texturing / UV / design experience
- Unreal knowledge
- C++ knowledge
- Shipped one or more AAA titles
- Knowledge of applications like Photoshop, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and Zbrush
What We Need:
We are looking for a Character Technical Artist to drive productivity, innovation, and efficiency in our game. You will assume responsibility as owner over many technical parts of the character-side pipeline. You will not be spoon-fed technical specifications or be stuck maintaining existing tools. Instead, you will be faced with interesting, challenging, evolving problems that require a creative yet disciplined approach. You will work with Technical Art Director, game designers, producers, engineers, artists and more to understand needs, design solutions, and make them a reality.
- Build a strong collaborative relationship with your director, peers, and customers
- Develop the tech, tools, and pipelines allowing us to innovate efficiently within the character techart space at the highest standards
- Support the character, animation, vehicle, prop, and weapon teams
- Work in the engine looking for ways to streamline runtime performance
- Help set team standards around documentation, scripting best practices, and overall tool quality
- Rig, skin, & export a variety of asset types working closely with your customers on those teams
Send your resume via the link below to start the journey.