Montreal QC ca
11 days ago
As a Character Modeller at Ubi MTL, you will create people, creatures, and animals for players to interact and connect with. You’ll combine your artistic and technical talents to form the physical features that define the characters that live within our worlds.
You enjoy the detailed, versatile, far-from-boring character development process. To you, creating new blend shapes, good edge flow, and optimized meshes are opportunities to push your skills. Always eager to improve, you’re constantly on the lookout for feedback to refine your art and build the best foundation for characters to be brought to life.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art and narrative teams to understand the game’s creative and artistic visions.
- Study concept art & narrative guidelines and research your own references to prototype character features (face, physique, clothing, etc.).
- Develop and polish your character art throughout the 3D pipeline (modelling, sculpting, texturing, retopologizing, UV unwrapping, etc.).
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints to achieve aesthetic quality and technical functionality.
- Partner with riggers and animators to make characters move believably.
- Adapt your work based on feedback from play testers and interdependent teams.
What you bring
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling, Fine Art, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 1-3 years of experience in modelling, texturing, or other related experience
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and ZBrush) *
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations (poly count, memory, etc.)
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
*Knowledge of 3D scanning and optimization techniques a huge plus
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best 3D work – especially the transition of a 2D design into a 3D character! Attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.