Character FX Artist
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
5 days ago
Tangent Animation is the vision of Animation and Film Production industry professionals, with combined experience that encompasses CG Animation, Live Action Film Production, Visual Effects, and Software Development. Tangent Animation employs open source solutions to create high quality animated feature films. What sets us apart from other studios is our use of Blender, an open source software to make our animated films. This approach has helped us in curbing the cost of licensed software and build an opportunity to invest in additional artistic and programming talent.
Tangent Animation strives to find solid team players that thrive on collaboration and community commitment to build open source capabilities. Tangent Animation is currently recruiting for an experienced Intermediate Character FX Artists to work collaboratively with our studio team.
The Character FX Artist applies a number of techniques—including but not limited to sculpting, grooming, and simulations of cloth and hair—to clean up and enhance character animation on a computer-generated feature.
- Collaborate in the design, development and implementation of techniques and systems that simulate cloth and hair, and integrate them into the production pipeline.
- Create permanent pose space deformers that allow animation to achieve specific target shapes.
- Fix undesirable shapes and artifacts in shots coming out of animation.
- Simulate cloth animation in shots.
- Groom and simulate hair/fur animation in shots.
- Troubleshoot technical issues as they arise.
- Meet project deadlines and milestones, as set by the Production department and the Supervisors
- Maintain positive, supportive and collaborative team dynamics
- 2-3 years of experience at features level CFX & Cloth Sim experience
- Experience with Maya and Blender is an asset
- Good artistic skills and an eye for natural motion in humans and animals.
- Advanced knowledge of cloth and hair strongly preferred / required.
- Experience creating and using pose space deformers.
- Experience in rigging, modeling, and animation are pluses.
- A good generalist. Solid understanding of and experience with the entire animation production process from layout to compositing is a plus.
- Able to take direction and adapt to change.
- Shotgun experience or the equivalent essential
- Great company culture, with a team that is very technically proficient, highly motivated & excited to work on projects that will change the industry
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Casual dress-code
- Interested candidates to share the link to their demo reels, along with their resume.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted