Character Concept Artist (Vancouver)
13 days ago
We are looking for a talented artist who has a passion for all things character art and design!
As a member of the Atomhawk art team, you'll get to work on a wide variety of unannounced AAA video game projects for some of the biggest developers and publishers in the industry, showcasing your skills and creativity across different genres and art styles - from realistic to stylized.
No formal training is required for this role, but an eye catching portfolio that demonstrates your ability to design and develop high quality character art work - from initial idea generating sketches all the way through to rendered, finished pieces - is a must.
If you like the sound of this and feel excited at the thought of working on high profile video game projects with an extremely talented and supportive team around you, then we encourage you to hit the apply button :)
Please note: This role is located in Vancouver, BC and we are ideally looking to recruit a candidate who has the necessary visas and right to work in this location from February 2022. Fully remote applications will also be considered on the basis that candidates are able to work with us on the PST time zone.
- Design and develop characters for a variety of different video game projects (different genres, different art styles)
- Use your creativity to showcase strong idea generation in the early stages of the character design process
- Deliver a sense of style and personality to your characters that are appealing to the target audience
- Design and develop costumes and props for your characters that help bring them to life and tell a story
- Produce highly rendered, polished character art for concepts, marketing, box art etc
Essential Skills Required
- Fluent with Photoshop, and a high capacity to learn new tools
- Strong art background in traditional art skills
- Strong anatomical knowledge
- Good sense of light, form, tone, palette
- Must be able to paint/sketch at speed
- Strong understanding of materials
- Experience with 3-D software (Z-Brush, MODO, 3DSMax or Maya etc) a plus
- Mechanical design knowledge
- Strong knowledge of videogames and films
- Experience working within a videogame, agency or film-production environment
Education and Experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates a potential to meet industry standard level of art
- Professional art training is desirable but not essential
Atomhawk provides all the following benefits/perks to its employees to ensure they are happy, healthy, and set up for a long, successful career with us:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus
- Flexible work schedule with both in-studio and optional from home working
- 8 days of paid training & development time annually, plus free access to an extensive library of tutorials/courses
- Extended health & wellness benefits
- 5% RRSP employer matching
- 21 days of paid vacation annually (+1 for every year with us up to a max. of 25)
- $500 health & fitness annual reimbursement
- Monthly and quarterly team activities (cinema trips, lunches/dinners, go karting, arcades etc)
- Free snacks and drinks in the studio