The Character Artist will work closely with the Art Lead to support various projects on their character design, modeling, and texturing needs with styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
Essential J ob Functions
- Create character models and textures per project needs
• Investigate and test optimal approaches for each platform that hit the highest quality within the given project requirements
• Understand what the Art Lead requires for the project then research, develop , and implement solutions in engine
• Research current techniques used and utilize most relevant processes
- Help the art team find answers to difficult problems.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in a similar role
- Understanding of Maya and/or Max
- Unity experience is a must; Unreal familiarity a benefit
- Ability to create character textures within tools such as Substance Designer
- Ability to create and work off o f complete and incomplete character concepts
- Ability to assess suggestions and come up with creative solutions
- Ability to w ork with others on defining the character pipeline that may or may not rely on an in-game character editor
- Possess an u nderstand ing of how animators will work with the character to make strong modeling choices
- Ability to w ork closely with technical art ists to develop new or improved techniques to improve visual quality
- Ability to keep a clear and consistent schedule.
- Ability to w ork with Tech Art ists to find solutions for elements such as hair and cloth
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to provide estimates for project planning
- Possess and u nderstanding of bug fixing and investigation
- Ability to use Zbrush or Mudbox
- Ability to rig and weight a character model
- Ability to concept character art
Demonstrated Ability To
- Make strong visually impactful character art and push the envelope when needed
- Work in a n organized way
- Work effectively with other artists and engineers to achieve project goals
- Solve problems to the benefit of the project/team
Education & Experience Required
Any degree or certification in Art or equivalent work experience.
Candidate should provide portfolio of art that they have created or directed and a resume detailing the projects/studios that they have been a part of.