This job might no longer be available.
Character Artist, Lead - Sledgehammer Games Toronto
2 days ago
Job Title:Character Artist, Lead - Sledgehammer Games Toronto
Sledgehammer Games, award winning developer of several titles in the Call of Duty franchise, is looking for talented developers to join us as founding members of our new Toronto team. This group will partner with our global teams in Foster City, California and Melbourne, Victoria in the creation of epic content for some of the biggest games in the world. This is an opportunity to help grow and shape a AAA team from the ground up, adding new skills to your armory while gaining the unique satisfaction that only comes from building something brand new. Join us on our quest to maintain and improve a healthy and inspiring studio culture!
The studio is navigating their 2 nd decade of game development, focused on constant evolution, innovation and qualified risk-taking – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class content production and engineering teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting new projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
Your mission is to inspire, mentor, and lead a team of high-caliber artists who create authentic characters that will be enjoyed by millions of gamers across the globe. Our Lead Artists are role-models that not only manage the team through challenge and change, but they also build up individuals into highly engaged, efficient, and effective teammates. Above all, we are looking for an innovative and dedicated leader to help tell our story.
- Share your passion and knowledge of character art in the films and games industry.
- Collaborate with Art Directors, Producers, Animators, and Tech Artists to deliver realistic characters for world-class player experiences.
- Research subject matter relating to objectives to ensure an authentic experience.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can independently execute high-level direction.
- Be a trusted gatekeeper for performance, efficiency, and quality.
- Define team goals, action plans, and schedules for the project.
- Provide your team with consistent guidance, opportunities, and resources.
- Lead, task, mentor and conduct one-to-one meetings with your Character Artists.
- Empower artists to thrive on open and welcome constructive criticism.
- Champion best practices and advocate towards streamlining tools and processes.
- Interface with other teams to ensure art requirements and plans are understood.
- Contribute creative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- 8+ total years in the games industry working in an art capacity, with at least 3 shipped title in the AAA console / PC space.
- 2+ years and at least 1 shipped title as a Lead Character Artist.
- Ability to lead by example echoed through a professional and egoless personality.
- Strong understanding of creating weapon art assets in multiple major 3D and 2D packages (3DS Max or Maya and Photoshop or Substance) for console hardware (Xbox, PS, PC).
- Excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering systems and techniques.
- Possesses in-depth understanding of game engines, pipelines, and processes.
- Comprehensive understanding of human anatomy, and clothing and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to modelling.
- Rock-solid communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to thrive in a challenging and often ambiguous environment.
- Strong understanding of game art with ability to clearly discuss modern trends.
- Inspiring portfolio demonstrating focus and commitment to realistic characters and current gen 2D/3D asset creation; ideally demonstrating organic and hard surface character, clothing, and equipment/accessory models with high-quality materials and textures.
- Marmoset Toolbag baking flow.
- Familiarity with photogrammetry process or procedural content creation.
- Strong traditional art foundation.
- History of playing a variety of game genres both digital and physical.