Character Artist (Freelance Contract) - Brighton, UK
4 days ago
At Electric Square, the worlds we create are crucial to our games and in delivering fantastic experiences to our players. Our portfolio includes ‘Forza Street’ and ‘Hot Wheels id,’ with ‘Assassin’s Creed VR’ and electrifying AAA console games currently in development and even more about to start! Together with 3 studios, 150 people, 8 projects (and our studio dogs!), we offer world-class projects with a unique studio culture to ensure our teams feel empowered and inspired
We can offer you an award-winning working environment with an employee satisfaction rating of 4.8 out of 5 on Glassdoor. At Electric Square, we don't just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Electric Square is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
ES Brighton is looking for an accomplished, enthusiastic and self-motivated Character Artist to join our Brighton based team working on an exciting, new and unannounced project.
A Character Artist at Electric square...
- Produce industry leading character and creature art for AAA character action console titles.
- Own the character asset creation pipeline in its entirety through to shippable in engine content.
- Partner closely with the technical and animation teams to deliver an efficient, stable, state of the art character pipeline and consistently strive for excellence that demonstrates work at the cutting edge.
- Exceptional understanding of human and animal anatomy.
- Ability to produce off line rendered look development pieces and marketing art.
- Document & communicate clear technical guidelines for character creation and real-time implementation to the team.
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative game production technologies and the capabilities/limitations of these technologies as they relate to your area of work
- Production experience as a character artist in the games industry working on cutting edge AAA console titles.
- An exceptional character art portfolio demonstrating outstanding visual and technical ability.
- Advanced skills in games development software such as Maya & games engines.
- Understanding of shaders and the rendering pipeline as it relates to character art.
- Experience with blend shape creation and workflows desirable.
- Experience working with dynamic real-time cloth solutions is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of texture creation packages such as substance designer and substance Painter.
- A creative thinker and problem solver with excellent communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to accept and follow direction, and to collaborate productively with others.
- An exceptional eye and drive for quality and detail.
When you join Electric Square, you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether it's participating and relaxing with one of our wellness perks or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked one of Brighton's incredible pop-up diners. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Electric Square invests in. Below you will find all the perks you can enjoy as an Electric Square team member.Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer.Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality TeasIn-house Clubs – There are lots of ways to socialise with your colleagues here! From day one you’re invited to join in clubs for D&D fans, board games, bouldering, drawing nights, yoga, cooking club – the list goes on and there is always space open for new members!Electra’s Beer & Wine Fridge – Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!Free Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console.Free Awesome Swag – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts and merch, with the now iconic Electra emblazoned on the front. New ranges out every season.Two studios in the heart of Brighton – Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.Dogs with Jobs – Electric Square is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!Exhibitions & Days Out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.