Character Art Director
14 days ago
We create ambitious games in a quietly awesome culture.
That simple statement is at the heart of what we do here at Possibility Space. Founded by a diverse and experienced team of game and media industry veterans, we are built from the ground up as a distributed studio, allowing developers to live and work where they are happiest. We strive to create an environment where we can do our best work regardless of what we look like, who we love, or how we identify.
Possibility Space is seeking an Art Director to provide leadership and direction to a team of artists working on an innovative character creator. As an art director, you will be instrumental in managing the day-to-day tasks of artists as well as directing the aesthetic vision of this feature. You will help come up with processes and pipeline solutions that align with the game’s wider art direction and support gameplay needs.
Reporting to the Visual Director, you will oversee the day-to-day art direction of this vertical feature. This role collaborates with disciplines across the entire project through all stages of development. Are you looking for a multifaceted lead role within a small, collaborative art team with a priority on creative ownership?
Do you love character creation systems? Do you think it’s important for all players to feel like they can craft a character that makes them feel included? If you are seeking an opportunity to shape a new experience with personality and joy, consider joining us!
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to art direct the character customization system
- Ensure that our characters support the project’s design and representation goals with an eye towards accessibility.
- Collaborate with our Technical Art and Animation teams to execute an avatar style that prioritizes player expression within our technical constraints.
- Champion the character customization system by providing clear direction and feedback to both internal and external teams.
- Provide day to day leadership on priority setting and methodologies of the avatar team.
- Is a present people manager who will advocate for the needs of their direct reports.
- Follow the work of the team and ensure they achieve the expected artistic quality.
- Mentor the team and distribute responsibility among them.
- Work with our Visual Director and Art Outsourcing Manager to create a style guide for external partners and participate in art reviews.
- Strong ability to create 2D or 3D art assets to support the team’s production.
- Ability to properly delegate tasks and solve potential future pipeline issues.
- Regularly present updates on the character customization feature’s progress both internally and with external publishing partners.
Core Traits (Skills, Knowledge, Experience):
- Prior production experience as an art director or an art lead
- Prior experience managing an art team.
- Strong communication skills and enthusiasm for interdisciplinary collaboration
- Ability to give regular art reviews via paint-overs, written or verbal critique sessions or mockups.
- Has experience in creating character art in a game production capacity.
- Thorough understanding of game art production phases, from preproduction through production to post-launch content
- Cross functional experience.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with design, engineering, and production.
- Strong communicator who is comfortable with video calls, asynchronous slack messages, and iterative collaboration on Miro (collaborative whiteboarding tool).
- Managerial Competencies
- Demonstrable experience and desire to plot a coherent vision for their own and others career trajectories.
- Managing the process of recruiting and supervising contract artists
- Previous experience working with external partners.
- Experience developing with Unity.
- Prior experience with Blender.
- Prior experience with character customization systems.
- Familiarity with the differences of multiple different platforms, such as mobile, PC and consoles.
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
- Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Possibility Space is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition(s), national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, or common human decency.