Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced Technical Designer to join our growing studio. We have an exciting new project, and are looking for a key hire to lend a hand in the development and execution of the campaign gameplay on a 3rd person action-strategy hybrid game.
Do you want to build compelling game experiences having designed, prototyped and delivered high profile gameplay systems, features or tools? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content? If so, this role could be for you!
- Work with Campaign Designers to improve scripting tools, identify and maintain scripting best practices, and help lay the groundwork for scripted encounters before handing off to the Campaign Designers for the final tunings and polish.
- Prototype, implement, and iterate on campaign content such as game flow, event hooks for narrative and audio content, scripted sequences, tutorial/help systems, and bug fixing.
- Collaborate with both artists and designers on ways to improve the campaign implementation to take advantage of existing technology and drive to the best end result possible.
- Work with producers and team leadership to assess requirements and provide effort estimates and updates to help ensure the team reaches its goals successfully
- A minimum of 5 years in game development, with at least 2 years of Technical Design experience
- Confidence and familiarity with modern text based scripting languages
- Shipped at least one product, ideally a strategy game
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic and technical environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Experience with and understanding of scripting languages and tools
- Experience developing or playing games featuring procedurally generated content
- An innovators heart, keen to create brand new things that haven't been done before
- A love of contributing to high quality, rich gameplay experiences
- Experience playing modern strategy games such as RTS’s, MOBAs, 4X, City Building, and Grand Strategy
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
- Experience in the production stage of a large scale shipped project
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.