Core Gameplay Designer
1 month ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced Game Designer to join our growing studio. We have an exciting new project, and are looking for a key hire to own the development and execution of the core gameplay on a 3rd person action-strategy hybrid game.
Do you want to build compelling game experiences having designed, prototyped and delivered high profile gameplay systems, features or tools? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content? If so, this role could be for you! As a Game Designer you will be highly collaborative and able to creatively solve challenging design and technical problems. You care about shaping an engaging player experience and bringing together a blend of creative and technical skills and experience.
- Design, prototype and implement gameplay systems, in collaboration with the other designers and programmers
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of downstream groups
- Participate in planning a roadmap to completion for the systems for which you’re responsible
- Guide the tuning and pacing of the player experience, and contribute to defining the tools and pipeline required to do so
- Provide thoughtfully and thoroughly considered systematic implementation of reward mechanisms and mechanics
- Understand, interpret and execute on creative direction, in alignment with project goals
- Collaborate with artists and programmers to build challenges and puzzles that emphasize the strengths of our core gameplay
- Test and integrate new features, art assets, and gameplay props as they come online
- Review and incorporate feedback on your work from other designers.
- Knowledge of competitive products and a variety of gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Ability to think logically with a high level of attention to detail
- 5 years in game development, with at least 2 years in a Gameplay or Systems Design specific role
- Experience using a text-based scripting language (e.g. Lua, C++)
- Shipped at least one game.
- Experience with other areas of design (level design, UX/UI, encounter scripting, etc.)
- Experience playing modern 3rd person games, including genres such as RTS, 3D platformers or open world RPGs
- Interest in single-player and co-op gaming.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.