Benefits and Payroll Specialist
8 days ago
Who We Are
At Level Ex, we advance the practice of medicine through play - using the technology and design from the consumer games industry to accelerate the adoption of new skills and techniques in healthcare. Level Ex is the first Medical Games Studio - we make video games for doctors. We are in the business of genre creation - what we are doing has never been achieved before and we are applying that same mindset to our employee experience, people strategy, and culture. We strive to be a people-first company where our diverse, innovative, and talented employees are pivotal to our growth.
Who You Are
We need a reliable Part-Time, Benefits and Payroll Specialist with strong analytical, organizational and functional skills. You are a master of your domain and enjoy helping people and always staying on top of the latest trends that serve our employees and company best. You are a multi-tasker with energy, drive, and motivation. Ultimately, you are a clear, proactive communicator (verbal and written) with fine attention to detail and who collaborates well with others .
What You'll Do
The Benefits and Payroll Specialist will focus on the areas of benefits administration and vendor management, payroll oversight, and employee relations. Reporting to the Head of People and Culture, you will be entrusted and accountable for the following:
- The day-to-day coordination and oversight of Level Ex’s Benefits programs.
- Act as the subject matter expert for all things related to the administration of pay and benefits, including new hire benefits orientation and the annual open enrollment process.
- Negotiate benefit plan renewals and recommend innovative, cost-effective, and timely solutions, and ensure benefits policies and practices remain legislatively compliant at all times.
- Collaborate with Finance in processing payroll, commissions, bonuses, severance, tax withholdings, deductions, and reimbursements.
- Produce scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to all compensation and benefits.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains benefit records by developing record-keeping systems; initiating new-hire benefits; recording changes.
- Resolves employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit policies and procedures.
- Develop census data and provide census to broker.
- Develop company cost information for new plans and makes recommendations to the Head of People and Culture and CFO.
- Coordinate yearly Open Enrollment Meetings with employees & brokers. Arrange for distribution of materials from carriers and process changes with deadlines.
- Document processes, policies, and procedures to establish a repository of institutional knowledge across HR.
- Coordinate COBRA communications, payments and maintain the ledger.
- Report HSA ER contributions for W-2 reporting.
- Prepare and settle annual 401(k) employee true-up payment, 5500 audit/filing, non-discrimination testing, SAR, QDI annual reporting, assist with education sessions, and other tasks.
- Lead daily/monthly 401(k) account activities, semi-monthly deduction reconciliations, company match, and validation.
- Maintain records for repayment of benefits from employees on LOA, relocation, sign-on bonuses, and severance payments.
- Maintain updated employee life salary data with the health insurance carrier for proper billing.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Head of People and Culture, Chief Financial Officer, or other designees.
Competencies, Skills, and Mindsets You Possess:
Analytical & Problem Solving:
- Strong analytical skills – collect, analyze, interpret information with attention to detail.
- Problem-solving- quickly resolves questions, issues, and discrepancies.
- Seeks to improve processes and deliver results.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Relationship & Emotional Intelligence:
- Expedites delivery of benefits by establishing and maintaining working relationships with benefit providers.
- Effective relationship-building skills, with the ability to accept and celebrate individual differences.
- Can handle large amounts of confidential data with poise and confidentiality.
Experience You Have
- Minimum 5 years of benefits administration experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or Finance or related field or equivalent.
- Demonstrable skills and experience with MS Excel and other analytics platforms/dashboards.
- Experience with HRIS and Payroll platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Level Ex is the collective sum of all our individual experiences, backgrounds, and influences and we pride ourselves in growing and learning together. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone’s individuality is respected, and everyone has an Identity.