Backend Software Engineer (D&D Beyond)
7 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre-defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
As a Backend Software Engineer working on the D&D team you will help design and build the services that will power the next generation of D&D’s best-in-class digital toolset and marketplace, D&D Beyond.
What You'll Do:
- Build backend services using the latest technologies including Node.js, AWS.
- Write maintainable, high-quality features in a team-based development environment.
- Engage in a shared code base through peer reviews and pull requests.
- Write and maintain unit and integration tests.
- Assist with improving code integration and deployment processes.
- Participate in planning, daily stand-ups, and retrospectives.
- Adhere to and improve processes and coding standards.
- Create and maintain project documentation.
What You'll Bring:
- At least 2 years of experience as a back-end software engineer building services using technologies like Node.js or .NET Core.
- Proven ability to deliver RESTful APIs using industry-standard practices with scalability and security in mind.
- Experience working with both relational (e.g., SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres) and non-relational databases (e.g., DynamoDB, MongoDB).
- Familiarity with building services in the cloud (e.g., AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail. Ability to think outside of the box.
- A curious attitude with an excitement to learn new things and contribute to all areas of the product.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Node.js or Next.js.
- Familiarity with AWS (e.g., Lambda, Gateway, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS, Event Bridge).
- Experience building containerized applications (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Prior experience breaking down monolithic framework architectures, built .NET and C#, into smaller distributed services.
- Familiarity with React and TypeScript.
- Experience practicing test-driven development.
- Experience building backend services for E-Commerce sites including integrating with payment providers like PayPal, Stripe, Sailthru.
- A passion for Dungeons & Dragons (D&D).
- You enjoy throwing Fireballs in the face of danger (but all new party members are welcome!)
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.
$101,760 — $174,240 USD