Back-End Developer – Engineering and Platform
Halifax NS ca
19 days ago
Ubisoft is looking for individual contributors with strong backgrounds in Development, Site-Reliability Engineering, and/or DevOps who are passionate about designing and implementing web applications all while setting ambitious goals and taking up complex challenges.
In this role, you’ll be joining the Engineering and Platform team which is the creative powerhouse behind Ubisoft’s IT platform: a one-stop destination, offering teams access to services for leveraging cloud and infrastructure in a uniform, self-serve way.
We rely on modern infrastructure, leveraging Kubernetes at its core and pushing its boundaries to host platform services in multiple variations.
From a software service standpoint, our focus is currently on authentication, authorization, API Gateway, Secret Manager, SDK, service mesh, and database – with much more to come.
- Design and develop micro-services, large scale web services and APIs for an engineering platform (PaaS – Platform-as-a-Service) while using modern best practices in software development;
- Produce clean, efficient code based on a straightforward development process aiming at reusable, optimal, maintainable solutions that will enhance the platform’s quality;
- Work alongside Ops team to ensure the support of developed applications in all environments;
- Identify and troubleshoot system deficiencies and recommend solutions;
- Contribute to architecture requirements and design all while creating technical documentation with an emphasis on quality driven deliverables;
- Enhance build and development tooling and improve things like CI/CD pipelines
- Write unit and integration tests;
- Participate in code reviews;
- Stay up to date on new technologies in the online services, game development and general web fields;
- Work closely with teammates in design, code, and test-plan reviews to help build robust software and foster knowledge sharing.
As part of this team, the stack you’ll be able to touch includes: OpenStack, Kubernetes, Docker, Python, Flask, Go, Terraform, AWS, OPA, GitLabCI;
A bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field.
Relevant experience and skills:
- Solid experience in software engineering/development;
- Experience in Web development (REST, gRPC, etc.);
- Experience in Agile Development / SCRUM;
- Experience of CI/CD pipeline (GitLab CI, Spinnaker, etc.);
- Experience with Terraform, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes;
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming (OOP);
- Experience working in an Agile and DevOps environment;
- Comfortable communicating in distributed teams;
- English is required both orally and written.
Skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.
Ubisoft Halifax began its journey with Ubisoft in 2015 and has since grown to over 70 employees with a focus on diversity and expertise, and a taste for experimentation. The studio is Ubisoft’s first Canadian studio to specialize in mobile free-to-play games, mixing Ubisoft’s expertise on major franchises with an approach to wider casual audiences. Ubisoft Halifax is also a solid co-dev studio inside of the Ubisoft ecosystem, participating in many of the most exciting future mobile projects in the company; as well as working on exciting unannounced projects of its own. The studio takes part in many local initiatives to grow the community of game developers in Atlantic Canada, and make the industry more inclusive and diverse.
Halifax is the largest city on Canada’s beautiful eastern coast and is a hub for the Atlantic tech industry. The city is home to history and culture, with a scenic waterfront, world class restaurants and a multitude of festivals and events. Yet denizens can access a taste of nature in the surrounding hiking trails, beaches and provincial parks that are an easy drive away from the city centre.
The studio is located in the heart of the city in the historic and iconic Keith’s Brewery Market. The harbour is in view from our window and lunch breaks can be spent on the boardwalk or at one of the many restaurants and cafes that popular the downtown core. The studio culture is dynamic and cooperative, with communication between teams and an emphasis on team building. Studio members are encouraged to maintain a work-life balance by offering days to focus on volunteering, self care and professional development.