This job might no longer be available.
1 month ago
Here at Phoenix Labs people are the ends, not the means. It’s the approach we feel makes us a destination for people who wish to collaborate on making games played all over the world.
You might know of us from Dauntless , where we helped pioneer crossplay , or from Fae Farm , our highly anticipated cozy magical farm sim. Our studio focus is on making enduring experiences that bring people together, driven by a belief that our colleagues achieve their best outcomes in a constructive, and empathetic environment.
Phoenix Labs is looking for a talented and versatile Audio Director to join our Vancouver studio on an exciting new project. You will be responsible for project level audio vision, as well as helping to guide organization level audio management. Working within a nimble, cross-disciplinary team of broadly skilled developers, you will become the keystone developer for the audio discipline within the project. You will work with vision holders and stakeholders to establish the vision for audio in the game, create hands-on audio content, and manage the tasks and careers of others.
At an organizational level, you'll be asked to participate in the Audio community of practice, supporting (and in some cases, managing) members of your discipline on other teams. As a Phoenix Labs developer, you’ll be expected to produce world class quality assets and work on the edge of your comfort zone, leveraging your considerable experience one day and learning a new skill the next.
- Work with key vision holders to create and implement audio assets across all aspects of the project.
- Help craft a unique and iconic audio aesthetic.
- Own technical implementation for audio assets across all aspects of the project.
- Work closely with other disciplines to reinforce and enhance game mechanics, modular content and artistic direction.
- Audio troubleshooting, bug identification, and fixing.
- Manage and direct the work of vendors, and potentially other Audio Designers.
- Manage and mentor audio designers across the organization.
- Interview incoming Audio Design candidates and opine on their qualifications.
- Organize and be active in the organization-wide audio community of practice.
- Establish and inform best practices, tools and workflows across the PHX audio community.
- Maintain relationships with Audio Designers org-wide, assisting in their career development and informing team transfers at a global level.
- Minimum 10+ years of sound design experience in the game industry.
- At least 2 years of formal people/career management.
- Must have shipped at least two high quality titles.
- High knowledge of the entire audio process (voiceover, music, sound effects, technical implementation)
- Proficient with Audiokinetic Wwise.
- Proven ability to craft innovative and creative audio assets.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- High level of ownership and self-sufficiency with assigned tasks.
- Ability to operate effectively and positively in an open feedback environment.
- Up-to-date on industry trends, new technologies, and best practices.
- Familiarity with the Unreal Engine.
- Experience with Unreal Blueprint.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Being part of a Phoenix Labs studio means joining a team of collaborative, supportive, inclusive professionals who strive to be at a company where they’re proud of what they do and how they do it. If this sounds like you - we’re always interested in talking.
Who we are:
At Phoenix Labs, we make games because we love them, and we love the way they inspire us, bring us together , and enrich our lives.
Our mosaic community of game developers is united by shared values and a singular mission: Do the best work of our careers creating timeless games , powered by trust, courage, and an unwavering regard for players and each other.
Phoenix Labs have teams located in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo.