Audio Director - SUMO SHEFFIELD
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 month ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo , winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio ; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting a new AAA Core team as part of our expansion strategy, capable of innovating & developing the next wave of gaming.
As part of this new drive we are currently on the search for an exceptional Audio Director to join our Sheffield studio. You will be working in the newly formed Core team and will be the back bone of the team’s Audio discipline, assisting in shaping what it sounds like and helping to drive diversity as we begin to work on an exciting new project.
As the Audio Director, you will take the helm leading all audio aspects of the product. You will have several key relationships across the studio, working in conjunction with the
You will undoubtedly be a confident audio leader, unafraid to be an advocate for the team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how audio impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence you will drive high standards, mentor and support team members and push for creative collaboration across both the Audio department and other disciplines.
Within this role you will:
- AUDIO DIRECTION ~ create the technical & artistic audio direction based on the creative direction (reference films, games by competitors, design documents).
- RESOURCE PLANNING ~ determine project resource needs, build your team, and propose the budget.
- COMMUNICATE ~ communicate the audio vision to your team, with all the required assets required to evangelise the direction.
- AUDIO ENGINE ~ due diligence and a key decision maker on what type of audio should be used, and why.
- TECHNICAL NEEDS ~ identify technical audio needs for the project and communicate them to the technical architect.
- MUSIC DIRECTION ~ set out the musical direction and the process to select composers.
- WORK FLOW ~ design and implement audio work flow, by working in close collaboration with programmers and technical directors to ensure proper integration;
- WORK PRACTICES ~ ensure that best work practices are implemented and optimized within the team to guarantee the validity and integrity of the data.
- SUPERVISORY ~ supervise the work of the audio team from the artistic &technical perspectives by providing individual feedback and/or organizing group audio reviews.
- MENTOR ~ coach team members to foster their artistic and technical development so that they progress in their careers.
To be successful you will have:
- Full cycle work experience as an Audio Designer on at least 4 shipped AAA titles.
- Demonstrable sound design skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Advanced working knowledge of Wwise middleware.
- Good knowledge of field and studio recording.
- Familiarity with Foley recording and application.
- Experience in working with sound to picture.
- Ability to mentor junior team members.
- Strong communication skills and ability to liaise with clients.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Well organized and self-motivated.
- Strong creative sound design skills.
- High technical ability.
You will also demonstrate that you can:
- Current gen console development/production.
- Experienced Reaper user or equivalent.
- Comfortable running dialogue sessions
- Experienced in multichannel sound design.
- An understanding of current developments in interactive audio.
- Working experience of creating UE4 Blueprints or similar visual scripting.
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003.
We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out-of-office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
Sheffield itself offers all the benefits of a big city with a village attitude. Renowned for its friendly inhabitants and green spaces, Sheffield is a phenomenal place to live and work whether you’re just starting out in your career, or if you’re looking to establish roots and family. The city includes world-class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping and restaurants, and a third of the city lies inside the stunning Peak District National Park, offering easy access to incredible recreation and history.
Our Sheffield studio is adjacent to the Meadowhall shopping centre and its rail, tram and bus links and to the M1 motorway, making for an easy commute from places like Leeds and Nottingham.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.