Associate Technical Director - Engineering - Multiplayer Action
9 days ago
Founded in 2012 by a group of creative and management veterans with years of industry experience, Firesprite is a visionary game development studio based in the heart of Liverpool’s vibrant game development hub with over 200 team members.
Creating a number of showcase games for PlayStation console and peripheral launches over the years, Firesprite’s core focus is developing innovative and memorable experiences for players on cutting edge gaming hardware. At Firesprite, the end player experience always comes first and the team is passionate about how to best combine the disciplines of design, art and code to deliver games that surprise and delight.
A visionary game development studio founded in 2012, Firesprite builds innovative showcase titles for PlayStation platforms as part of the PlayStation Studios family.
Would you enjoy the freedom to create AAA games working from anywhere in the UK, including our Liverpool studio?
We are looking for an Associate Technical Director to join the early development of a new, AAA, Unreal 5 multiplayer action game.
This bold project aims to break new ground in multiplayer, blending gameplay mechanics in new ways and deeply embedding storytelling elements into a unique universe. We’re building an elite, diverse first-party team and this is your opportunity to help shape a future blockbuster!
As the Associate Technical Director for Game Tech, you will report to the Technical Director and be responsible for overseeing the development and maintenance of core systems that support the other teams, including rendering, physics and multiplayer networking. It is expected that you will have in-depth knowledge of at least one of these areas from past experience, but you will also need to be someone who can work to gain a high-level understanding in less-familiar areas with the help of your team.
You will also be responsible for the development and well-being of the Lead Programmers who report to you. You are still expected to be somewhat hands-on and able to balance day-to-day programming tasks alongside your leadership responsibilities, but of course you will have full autonomy within your team to delegate.
- Assist the Technical Director to manage several of the technical risks on the project and move your team forward with steps to mitigate them.
- Guide and assist your Lead Programmers in planning and delivery in coordination with other disciplines and our production team.
- Work with your Lead Programmers to keep a close eye on the overall architecture and performance of the project.
- Analyse different approaches to features to fit performance budgets.
- Line Management of your immediate team of Lead Programmers, but also to take overall responsibility for all the staff reporting upwards to you.
- Excellent C++
- Experience working with the Unreal Engine
- Experience in at least one of physics, rendering or multiplayer networking
- Experience in leading teams through planning and delivery
- Experience in leading others through their own personal development
- Strong code architecture skills
- Awareness of performance and memory footprints of different approaches or techniques
- CPU profiling experience
- Sustained experience in a Lead Programmer or similar role, ideally with at least one shipped title
Additional Desirable Skills:
- Console development experience
- GPU profiling experience
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Firesprite is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, with a commitment to a culture of inclusion and mutual respect for all employees from every walk of life, reflecting the community we make games for. We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable applicants regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.