Associate Software Engineer, Server - Shared Game Engine
Irvine California 92618 United States of America
11 days ago
Team Name:Unannounced Project
Job Title:Associate Software Engineer, Server - Shared Game Engine
Blizzard Entertainment is developing a modern, cross-platform game engine to share across all of Blizzard and power the future of Blizzard games. This new project advances technology both at Blizzard and in the gaming industry. You’ll join a collaborative team of skilled developers who will work with game teams across the company to deliver a truly epic game engine.
We are looking for a server programmer who is passionate about working with others to develop server code that scales well and stands up to extensive use. Our ideal candidate wants to grow their skills by building backend technology and server frameworks on which future games will rely. Our goal is to deliver technology to our partners that makes development a pleasure.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
What you’ll do…
- Learn new ideas, techniques, and processes and apply that knowledge to work
- Implement new features or improvements to game servers or microservices
- Actively and enthusiastically seek out help, code reviews, and advice
- Review changes with domain experts to confirm those changes are good and effective
- Collaborate with team members to develop and refine server and networking systems that will be used by a variety of games and platforms
- Maintain tools for performance, stability, and error-free operation
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues and discover opportunities for improvement
- Communicate, learn from, and collaborate with developers of all technical skill levels and disciplines
To succeed, you must have…
- Experience developing and debugging in C/C++
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Customer service attitude with an eye for efficiency and workflow
- Communication skills for sharing ideas clearly, learning from others, and giving meaningful feedback
You’re a great fit if your philosophy is to…
- Commit to doing things the right way, even when it's difficult
- Refine your work through iteration until you can deliver an epic experience/product
- Value diversity and differences in others
- Find simple and practical solutions by building on the ideas and work of others
- Ensure discussions include every voice that has something to say
- Enable technology that makes games accessible to every person who wants to play them
- Accept that frequent and quick failure is part of the path to success
We’d love it if you also have…
- Explored game development (yes, personal projects count!)
- Experience in relevant technology such as Relational Databases (SQL), Document Stores (NoSQL), Cassandra, and Docker
- An understanding of what makes a good API for developers and users
- Programming experience on Linux
- Mobile and console game development experience
- Experience with Relational Databases (SQL) and Document stores (NoSQL)
- Passion for gaming
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunities for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!