Associate Software Engineer, Database (Server) - World of Warcraft
21 days ago
Team Name:World of Warcraft
Job Title:Associate Software Engineer, Database (Server) - World of Warcraft
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a skilled software engineer to join the World of Warcraft Server team. The ideal candidate is someone with a passion for databases and putting the player experience first.
In this role, you will collaborate with other engineers to build and maintain World of Warcraft’s Server ecosystem, with a specific focus on our Oracle database layer. Our game’s data has grown massively since its launch in 2004, and you will get to work on challenging and rewarding problems that accompany such scale.
We’ve worked hard to foster a deeply collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an opportunity for professional growth.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Implement backend C++ and Oracle components to support game features or the live service
- Create PL/SQL, DDL, and SQL code and scripts
- Provide guidance on schema design and database performance optimizations
- Troubleshoot live issues, resolve defects, and support patch releases
- Deliver clean, efficient code and clear documentation
- Design systems with scalability, availability, and performance in mind
- Participate in and contribute to a culture of inclusion and diversity
- Professional experience with C++, SQL, and relational database technology
- Prior client-server application development and a strong understanding of distributed systems
- Passion for implementing complex coding solutions with simple, elegant, easy-to-maintain code
- Comfortable working within a large, established codebase
- Enthusiasm and adaptability to work on a variety of initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Significant experience with Oracle
- Previous engineering role focused on database development
- Broad experience in any of the following: Linux, Lua, Jenkins, Git, SVN, JIRA
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!