Associate Level Design Director [Star Wars Project]
12 days ago
On being an Associate Level Design Director at Ubisoft Toronto:
As an Associate Level Design Director at Ubisoft Toronto, you will be working together with the team at Massive Entertainment to create a new story-driven open-world video game set in the Star Wars galaxy. Our goal is to create a game and a story that bring both new and lifelong fans on an immersive and outstanding journey, which will stay with them for years to come.
You will provide players with quests to undertake, puzzles to solve, and goals to accomplish as they journey through an immersive world.
Combine a mastery of level design, with game design & narrative elements to craft best in class mission experiences.As an empathetic mentor, you step in to help your team polish and connect their projects to create a seamless and engaging gameplay experience for players to enjoy.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the creative director, game director, world director, and other core team members to define the vision of a game;
- Own the execution and guidelines for the game’s main and side missions;
- Assist level designers during prototyping (experiment with designs and explore opportunities);
- Outline the gameplay experience (encounters, flow, rhythm, tension, pacing, variety, etc.) in mission documentation that will serve as a reference and source of inspiration throughout development;
- Coordinate and oversee mission level designers as they bring concept to playability;
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features;
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to your level design team to achieve quality;
- Find solutions to issues uncovered by play testers and cross-functional teams (get to the root of problems to solve them).
What you bring:
- Relevant experience on a game team;
- Shipped titles in a relevant role;
- 2+ years leadership experience;
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- A solid understanding of level design and all phases of video game production;
- Excellent time management, problem-solving, and organizational skills;
- An innovative, creative, and collaborative spirit;
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it – you have the flexibility to revaluate and adjust your level design direction when and as often as needed!
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- A hybrid, flexible work model
- Six weeks of vacation
- An enhanced parental leave program
- Comprehensive Total Rewards Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Life at Ubisoft
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. You’ll have opportunities to be challenged, learn and grow in your role. Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible within game development while working with Ubisoft’s most powerful technologies – from game engines to performance capture and more. Annual performance reviews and salary increases will help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer hybrid remote work options, six weeks of vacation for all employees, an enhanced parental leave program, a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development.
We celebrate the big and small moments together – with virtual events, get togethers, giveaways and more. In addition to our “right to disconnect” philosophy, the studio offers a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, an on-site gym, flexible work hours, and other programs to create a better, sustainable work environment for our teams.
We encourage you to read our Code of Conduct prior to applying. It is our collective responsibility at Ubisoft Toronto to maintain a respectful and inclusive work environment, and be the best possible place to work and grow. Knowing and respecting our Code of Conduct’s principles and guidelines is key to achieving that goal.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the diversity of our players and community, celebrates the individuality of our team members and embodies our core values – trust, integrity, excellence and care.
We encourage applications from First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or a member of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Accommodations are available upon request.
Skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different kinds of experiences. That's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations worldwide, are bound by a shared mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are vital in creating worlds where players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto is one of the most significant development studios within Ubisoft, employing talented developers worldwide. We create worlds and tell stories that grip you, inspire you and challenge you. Since opening in 2010, we have shipped innovative game projects on Ubisoft’s most prominent brands: Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, For Honor and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell.
We recently launched Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the talented Giancarlo Esposito as Anton Castillo. Our studio has also led the development of the newest game in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion (2020), a stand out for its tech and design work, play as anyone gameplay in an open world, and rich and detailed rendition of a future London. Starlink: Battle for Atlas (2018) was Ubisoft Toronto’s first new IP, which seamlessly blended physical and digital gameplay. Splinter Cell Blacklist was the first title released by Ubisoft Toronto in 2013. We have an exciting roadmap of projects for the future and can’t wait to share more details.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft Toronto, we constantly strive to get better, be better and do better – embracing innovative ideas, exploring new technologies, and working together courageously and collaboratively.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.