Associate Lead Lighting Artist
19 days ago
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for a seasoned Lighting Artist who is passionate about lighting complex, dynamic and vast open worlds and has prior experience managing a team. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- The lighting team combines technical skills with a creative eye to bring the game world to life, layering lighting and atmosphere to help create a coherent world, enhancing the story telling using colour and composition.
- We are a global team and work with a proprietary engine and custom tools developed alongside other internal teams.
- Create and maintain all elements of lighting (i.e., Exterior, Interior and Props).
- Mentor and develop Associate Lighting Artists, helping conduct performance reviews and providing learning opportunities.
- Gain an intimate understanding of our workflows, tools, and their application. Contribute towards the development and improvement of those tools.
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and performance requirements for real time game application.
- Keep artistic style consistent with defined visual style for the game and help create reference packs for locations.
- Work with design to make sure lighting accentuates missions, objectives, and game flow.
- Ensure that all lighting deliverables are completed fully and in line with production schedule.
- Must provide a portfolio through a webpage or other digital media to be considered.
- Proven industry experience having shipped titles as a Senior/Lead Lighting Artist.
- 2+ years experience managing / mentoring junior artists.
- Strong technical background and understanding of how In Game lighting engines work, with ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- Demonstrable experience with industry standard real time or offline lighting suites, either third party software or tools used in the production of environment and character lighting.
- Ability to quickly pick up new tools and invested in improving their development.
- High degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Good prioritization and multi-tasking skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience of post process pipeline development.
- Sound knowledge and use of lighting techniques in real time is preferable but offline also considered.
- Up to date knowledge of lighting techniques through industry research and prototyping new tech with code.
- Prior experience participating in R&D of new techniques to implement into production pipeline.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.