Associate Lead Concept Artist - DUNE
19 days ago
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 400 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, a newly opened Romania studio. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As an Associate Lead Concept Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to build and maintain qualitative goals and artistic consistency for concept art, setting high visual standards, and defining project style and tone.
In this role, you are a well-rounded team ambassador: a master communicator, collaboration facilitator, and above all, a skilled artist. You fully understand the concept art creation process, along with style guides and creative briefs. You are able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with the project Art Director to develop a style and provide consistent quality across all areas for the project
- Collaborate with other Art Leads and Producers to coordinate Concept Art resources, establishing schedules and priorities
- Lead, mentor and motivate concept artists as they develop and polish their work throughout the art pipeline
- Review completed work, ensuring its aligned with the artistic direction and 3D requirements
- Produce high-quality concept art, with the ability to deliver consistent quality across all areas of environments, lighting, characters, vehicles, props and more
- Carry out key department responsibilities that include hiring, training, appraising performance and resolving issues
- Build and maintain partner and client relationships, trust and communication
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 5 years of commercial production experience in a Concept Art role
- Prior leadership experience
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine and production management tools
- Experience working with outsourcing partners and freelancers across different locations
- Mastery of 2D art fundamentals: anatomy, composition, lighting, materials, color use, etc.
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Z-Brush, Maya and/or other 2D & 3D software packages
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
Please apply in English.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Funcom Lisbon has a full-range development studio situated in Lisbon, the sunny capital of Portugal, in an area with famous cafés and sights near the river. The Lisbon team consists of roughly 80 people from more than 20 nationalities.
Funcom Lisbon offers challenging and interesting work, flexible schedules, relocation assistance, health insurance, meal allowance, gym discounts, social events, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family, with skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games.
We have a diverse, dynamic, inclusive , challenging and engaging culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities, and w e encourage candidates from all walks of life to apply. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.