This job might no longer be available.
Associate Game Director
1 month ago
As an Associate Game Director at Ubi Québec, you'll be a designer-manager hybrid with an influence on game design and a group of designers. You’ll help shape the systems and mechanics that make up the foundation of a game, and then set a clear plan of action to see them through. You oversee your team throughout production, managing their creative workload, scheduling tasks, and setting realistic deadlines. As an empathetic mentor, you recognize and develop the strengths of your designers and create an environment of trust for each one to succeed. Thanks to your understanding of the methods and tools to create, solve, and navigate design, you can step in when need be to help your team bring all features from concept to completion.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the creative and game directors to develop the overall game design vision.
- Put together a project scope plan (timelines, amount of systems and mechanics, etc.).
- Meet with your game design team to prioritize work, assign tasks, discuss progress, tackle setbacks, find solutions, share experience, provide feedback and coaching, etc.
- Oversee your team develop their features (e.g. progression, artificial intelligence behaviours, gameplay, 3Cs, multiplayer matchmaking, clan systems, etc.) and documentation (creative briefs, feature sign-offs, etc.).
- Collaborate with designers, programmers, artists, animators, and other production teams to ensure constant communication & consistency across the board.
- Adapt to technical and production constraints & participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
- Write the annual report and the end-of-project report of the employees under their responsibility and help them identify their growth path.
- Keep up to date on best practices to develop your skills and refresh your knowledge.
- Develop a culture of sharing and push for continuous improvement within its trade community.
- Help create a healthy, inclusive and positive work environment and escalate issues that could affect employees or the project as needed.
- Address conflict situations and behavioral issues by seeking support from the HR team or the team's production manager as needed.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your game design team.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design, Project Management, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in game design or related experience (live/online game development a huge plus)
- In-depth experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.) & familiarity with project management software (e.g. Jira) *
- A highly innovative and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- A solid understanding of the market and a (fiery) passion for video games
- Excellent mentorship capabilities & a whole lot of empathy
*Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) = nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped and a cover letter.
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
*Please note that the response time and analysis of applications will be longer from December 20, 2021 to January 17, 2022 due to the holidays. Please be assured that your application will be considered and that a member of the recruitment team will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you and happy holidays.
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.