Associate Game Designer (Contract) - Legends of Runeterra
Los Angeles, California, United States
24 days ago
Legends of Runeterra (LoR) is our new collectible card game (CCG) featuring beloved champions from the League of Legends universe. Associate Game Designers on Legends of Runeterra understand how to contribute to excellent teams to provide great products to players. We are on well-defined problem spaces and small features to make improvements to the product. Furthermore, we strive to broadly understand the players we serve as we create features.
As an Associate Designer, reporting to the Senior Manager of game designer, you will design and increase the player experience. Your player empathy and creativity help create in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will work with interdisciplinary teams, contributing and translating feedback to improve and iterate player-focused designs to delight millions around the world.
- Make sure assigned projects meet Riot standards of quality (including researching continuity/fact checking, giving game design/lore clarity and quality feedback, participating in review)
- Work with a diverse team of developers to build new content and features for Legends of Runeterra to achieve Riot’s strategic goals
- Represent player experience and need in discussion
- Openly share work in critiques and seek feedback from other designers
- Use existing design principles to help bring high-quality work. Help identify new principles and frameworks to aid future design.
- Deconstruct complex problems into manageable sized chunks
- Help draft messages to players, sharing context on design plans and rationale
- You understand player needs, especially around deep, meaningful player connections with outstanding character gameplay
- You have a understanding of current gaming tastes and trends in the global market
- You can apply and build an approach to design. You identify what creates interesting gameplay, what’s appealing to players and why things work. You’re able to translate lessons from one genre to another.
- You can identify a problem, generating a range of solutions to it, and identifying the most appropriate one. You’re then able create and communicate the details of that proposed solution.
- You work well with others at sharing and asking for feedback
- You understand the goals of your project to both designers and non-designers, along with the rationale behind how you work on those goals
- Your work is internally reasonable, thematic and trades off different values against each other to accomplish team goals
- At least 1 years experience as a professional game designer
- Broad mechanics and systems design ability
- Demonstrated experience tuning and balancing strategy games
- Experience in writing, copy editing, and proofreading
- Excellent written and verbal communication
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).