This job might no longer be available.
Associate Director, Engineering (Commerce)
6 days ago
Team Name:Battle.net & Online Products
Job Title:Associate Director, Engineering (Commerce)
Job Title: Associate Director, Engineering, Battle.net (Commerce)
Department: B&OP ENGINEERING
Location: This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Irvine Ca.
Battle.net & Online Products is home to a team of caring and passionate engineers, product managers, designers, and test analysts, that work together on the legendary gaming network, Battle.net, to bring millions of gamers together and to make our products available to our players around the world.
We are looking for a senior technical leader with proven experience leading teams of engineers to design, build, maintain and operate global, distributed, and critical technology platforms.
As the Associate Director, Engineering, you will be responsible for setting technical vision and building and managing a team of effective and collaborative engineers that can deliver on that vision. The team will include individual contributors, technical leads and architects - all focused on creating and constantly improving one of the world's top online game platforms. You will also partner with product management leaders to help prioritize building the best features our players crave and business needs. This role focuses in the areas of our monetization and commerce services, which is part of the larger Battle.net platform. These services are a critical and foundational piece of every game on the Battle.net platform, and this is an opportunity to have a huge positive impact for our games, our players, and our commercial success.
We primarily use Java and Tomcat, with a microservices architectural approach, and SQL and NoSQL data stores, to deliver world-class Battle.net Services. We are currently in the process of migrating from legacy data centers to public cloud in order to prepare our systems for increased scale and reliability. We are an internal hub and are involved in some fashion with nearly every project and release within Activision Blizzard. We help launch major company releases, and work on highly scalable and reliable services at a global scale.
- Lead about half a dozen software engineering teams, each with a Technical Lead and multiple software engineers.
- Grow a strong team and foster a culture of excellence and collaboration. Inspire, support, guide, and grow!
- Work together with Product Management and Technical Leaders, both inside your team and across Blizzard, to build and improve Battle.net's commerce capabilities.
- Develop the long-term technology plan and oversee all technical design and development on the team.
- Evaluate, coach, and mentor engineers, technical leads and architects.
- Provide pragmatic decision making, striking the balance between business value and engineering complexity.
- Provide critical analysis of technology and development practices with the goal of improving platform quality and team efficiency and fostering a positive working environment.
- Fully own the operations, reliability, and availability of mission critical production systems.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience successfully managing development teams, at the technical director or lead software engineer level.
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience in server or platform engineering, preferably with strong experience building and supporting highly available distributed systems.
- Java proficiency and familiarity with multiple other programming languages.
- Experience with Transactional RDBMS and NOSQL data storage technologies.
- Strong understanding of what it takes to develop and maintain mission critical services, with high uptime, solid security, and excellent live operations
- Familiar with various forms of testing practices, including regression, acceptance, functional, and load testing.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, or equivalent degree or experience.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $155,500.00 - $287,876.00 Annual. These values reflect the expected base pay range of new hires across all U.S. locations. Ultimately, your specific range and offer will be based on several factors, including relevant experience, performance, and work location. Your Talent Professional can share this role’s range details for your local geography during the hiring process. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.